1 of 3
Requesting volunteers for the Treason Project
Posted: 05 December 2008 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19

The Treason Project is a project to identify and confront fundamentalist behavior.  Whether we like it or not, atheists can engage in the same types of unhealthy behavior which Christians do.

The Treason Project will accomplish this by having an evidentiary depository where fundamentalists statements can be imported and examined by all.  Fundamentalists statements made by atheists fundamentalists and others can be imported to this thread to be examined by all.  So far Dennis Campbell, Skeptic X, eucaryote, teuchter and I have been spending time on the thread examining fundamentalist statements, but others are welcome to join in.  To look for examples of fundamentalists behavior, you can either simply search through current and older threads, or click on a particular persons profile and look at all their past writings.  We want to look for examples of intolerance for others viewpoints, absolute scientific certainty in areas where none exists, or examples of dogmatic behavior.

I’m calling it the Treason Project because I do feel like a bit of a traitor, being critical of people whom I agree with on many issues such as religion, but it is important for any group of people to be honest with themselves.  It is important that we not show signs of intolerance or dogmatic behavior like some religious groups do.  And we certainly don’t want to impede scientific curiosity in areas where there is still a lot to learn.  I’ll be critical of some of my friends in this forum, just to show there is no bias involved.  Welcome to the Treason Project, and I look forward to your positive contributions.

[ Edited: 05 December 2008 08:08 AM by Immediate Suppression]
 Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 05 December 2008 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

IS, this forum does tend to have certain “self-monitoring” tendencies of it’s own. Namely, the other members.

It is not unusual for anyone here to get called on their shit and/or learn a little something. To go back through reams of posts looking for evidence of previous “fundamentalist statements” sounds like a page out of the Karl Rove playbook.

I suggest a more productive method - call ‘em when you see ‘em.

Your fixation on “unhealthy atheist fundamentalist behavior” suggests that you have a firm handle on what healthy atheist non-fundamentalist behavior is. I find this troubling and antithetical to the premise of free thought.

No doubt my skepticism of “Project Treason” will be used against me. I’ll send ironic postcards from Gitmo.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 05 December 2008 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
mpbrockman - 05 December 2008 07:18 AM

IS, this forum does tend to have certain “self-monitoring” tendencies of it’s own. Namely, the other members.

I would actually agree with this assessment, to a certain degree.

It is not unusual for anyone here to get called on their shit and/or learn a little something. To go back through reams of posts looking for evidence of previous “fundamentalist statements” sounds like a page out of the Karl Rove playbook.

I suggest a more productive method - call ‘em when you see ‘em.

That is exactly what the Treason Project is all about.  Instead of taking a thread off track when examples of atheist fundamentalism are expressed, they can be imported and isolated in this thread, and examined by everyone.

Your fixation on “unhealthy atheist fundamentalist behavior” suggests that you have a firm handle on what healthy atheist non-fundamentalist behavior is. I find this troubling and antithetical to the premise of free thought.

No doubt my skepticism of “Project Treason” will be used against me. I’ll send ironic postcards from Gitmo.

Thanks for a laugh, but save the stamps for a better cause. 

And Jefe, you know I’m not a troll, and I know you can do better than just post cartoon pictures.  But thanks for your help so far with the Treason Project.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 05 December 2008 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02

No need to throw IS against a wall to see what happens to it’s brains.  Thanks to Jefe we can see IS picking them out it’s nose.  Lucky it’s not animated, as the contents would enter the mouth next.

Posted: 05 December 2008 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23
Jefe - 05 December 2008 11:44 AM

Thanks for reminding me of the old Poortvliet/Huygen Gnomes book! I was enchanted by this when I was younger. At least you haven’t had to play the snotgurgle card yet.

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2008 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20
Immediate Suppression - 05 December 2008 06:39 AM

So far Dennis Campbell, Skeptic X, eucaryote, teuchter and I have been spending time on the thread examining fundamentalist statements, but others are welcome to join in.

Whoa! Bullshit! We’ve spent time telling IS that he is an idiot. Keep me out of it!

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 05 December 2008 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Reality is one place that you won’t find IS (GDon?). I sarcastically told IS to go publish his/her book. That is about as plausible as anything IS posits. Improbable Projection is working hard to protect science from us evil atheist fundamentalists. Perhaps something will intervene; but it will not be an intelligent post from Immediate Solipsism. IS is on a crusade to expose the intolerant atheists who are unwilling to coddle the infinite amount of useless speculation that IS can regurgitate. IS should immediately wrap itself in aluminum foil. A tin foil hat may not be strong enough to stop the electromagnetic waves from penetrating the vacuum left when its brain vaporized.

Immediate, this is not a threat. We pat the special kids on the head and straighten their collars.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 05 December 2008 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23
eucaryote - 05 December 2008 11:12 PM

So far Dennis Campbell, Skeptic X, eucaryote, teuchter and I have been spending time on the thread examining fundamentalist statements, but others are welcome to join in.

Whoa! Bullshit! We’ve spent time telling IS that he is an idiot. Keep me out of it!

So, eucaryote - not a part of this? Dennis, Byron, teuchter - are you actually in on this or have you been unwittingly co-opted?

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2008 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23

Oops - just found the other thread. Now I understand why IS is claiming certain others here as collaborators in his endeavor.

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2008 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

It looks like I’ve got to go to work. Apparently some Patron intervened with someone’s driving skills.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 05 December 2008 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-20

Feeding cynicism kills innocence.

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 05 December 2008 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-20
mpbrockman - 06 December 2008 02:45 AM
eucaryote - 05 December 2008 11:12 PM

So, eucaryote - not a part of this? Dennis, Byron, teuchter - are you actually in on this or have you been unwittingly co-opted?

Absolutely, all of those mentioned.

Signature 

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 06 December 2008 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2008-11-23

The Treason Project is a project to identify and confront fundamentalist behavior.  Whether we like it or not, atheists can engage in the same types of unhealthy behavior which Christians do.

The Treason Project will accomplish this by having an evidentiary depository where fundamentalists statements can be imported and examined by all.  Fundamentalists statements made by atheists fundamentalists and others can be imported to this thread to be examined by all.  So far Dennis Campbell, Skeptic X, eucaryote, teuchter and I have been spending time on the thread examining fundamentalist statements, but others are welcome to join in.  To look for examples of fundamentalists behavior, you can either simply search through current and older threads, or click on a particular persons profile and look at all their past writings.  We want to look for examples of intolerance for others viewpoints, absolute scientific certainty in areas where none exists, or examples of dogmatic behavior.

I’m calling it the Treason Project because I do feel like a bit of a traitor, being critical of people whom I agree with on many issues such as religion, but it is important for any group of people to be honest with themselves.  It is important that we not show signs of intolerance or dogmatic behavior like some religious groups do.  And we certainly don’t want to impede scientific curiosity in areas where there is still a lot to learn.  I’ll be critical of some of my friends in this forum, just to show there is no bias involved.  Welcome to the Treason Project, and I look forward to your positive contributions.

At the risk of being attacked for my stupidity on this subject, can you explain in laymans terms what you mean by atheist fundamentalist behaviors and statements? Do you mean the “atheist way or the highway” attitude or something different? Or just a general lack of being respectful to others viewpoints? Or all of the above?

Cindy

Posted: 06 December 2008 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
CindyJayne - 06 December 2008 11:55 PM

At the risk of being attacked for my stupidity on this subject, can you explain in laymans terms what you mean by atheist fundamentalist behaviors and statements? Do you mean the “atheist way or the highway” attitude or something different? Or just a general lack of being respectful to others viewpoints? Or all of the above?

In other words, are you talking about uncompromising people like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins, or about wafflers like Dennis Campbell and Immodium Suppository?

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 07 December 2008 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

All,

FTR, I am NOT a part of any “Treason Project!”  That was an induction without consent or agreement.  IS, next time, before implying that anyone is a part of anything, it’d be useful to get their agreement ahead of time.  Posting on a thread does not by that fact endorse that thread.

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 07 December 2008 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15

If anyone here hasn’t figured out that IS is a lying, dishonest, manipulative fuckwit, then you haven’t been paying attention.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

1 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed