The Caylee Anthony case
Posted: 21 December 2008 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-12-21

I have been following the tragic case of this poor missing child since it broke last summer.  Even though I knew she was very likely dead for quite some time, the news yesterday that the skeletal remains found were indeed little Caylee’s put me in a very depressed and saddened mood.  That such a beautiful precious little girl could have her life cut short so tragically is quite disillusioning to me. 
I have watched videos on Youtube about the case and the majority of posters are Christians insisting how Caylee is an angel now in heaven or in the arms of God.  As much as I can understand how consoling these beliefs may be for such people, I cannot help but feel bothered by them.  I would like to ask these posters why their god did not save the little girl from being killed to begin with?  However, part of me feels it would be “impolite” to ask such things.  Should I be able to ask people of faith such questions or am I rudely disrespecting what is for them a source of consolation for a very terrible tragedy.  I agree with Sam that it would be better in the long-run if we can discover ways of finding spiritual comfort and consolation without believing in the absurd.  My final question is how those on this board (of which I am one) who do not believe in God or the supernatural would console this little girl’s family, who are understandibly right now in great sorrow.

Posted: 21 December 2008 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10
Skeptic_83 - 21 December 2008 05:32 AM

My final question is how those on this board (of which I am one) who do not believe in God or the supernatural would console this little girl’s family, who are understandibly right now in great sorrow.

Welcome Skeptic_83,

It is, in my opinion, the origin of all this religious hullabaloo, the death of others and the inevitability of our own demise.
I picture our ancestors doing their thing on the African savannahs and trying to come to terms with the trade-off of their ever larger brains and deal with a hostile and incomprehensible world.
The consolation function of Sky Daddy is probably the primary reason why our creative minds came up with these stories about gods and devils.

Consolation in the real world mostly comes from friends and family.
If religious folk whom I knew lost a child I’d support them just like I would my non-religious friends. Just be there for them and don’t leave them alone in their time of sorrow. Theological discussions have their time and place and a wake or a eulogy is not an appropriate occasion to start a debate but I would not join a request for a prayer and if the grief-stricken religiosos asked why I’d tell them that I don’t believe there is a god.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 23 December 2008 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19

One way not to console them is to publically voice one’s objection to the grandparents’ decision to donate to needy children for Christmas the hundreds of stuffed animals placed in memorium of Caylee, as at least one lady did on the news yesterday. Her reason: the toys are a personal gesture to Caylee.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 23 December 2008 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
Sander - 21 December 2008 11:50 AM

Consolation in the real world mostly comes from friends and family.

Agreed 100%, and as I recently posted elsewhere, let us not forget the annealing effects of crying, pounding on inanimate objects and screaming at nothing while driving alone.

And, of course, time.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed