The End of Faith…
Posted: 11 June 2011 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-06-11

In “The End of Faith” Sam Harris takes a strong stance against religious moderates. It seems he is mostly opposed to moderates, due to their enabling the extremist. My hypothetical question is this: If we could eliminate all religious extremism, would Sam Harris still take issue with the moderates? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: 11 June 2011 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-06-04
bingle4 - 11 June 2011 02:50 PM

In “The End of Faith” Sam Harris takes a strong stance against religious moderates. It seems he is mostly opposed to moderates, due to their enabling the extremist. My hypothetical question is this: If we could eliminate all religious extremism, would Sam Harris still take issue with the moderates? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

You cannot eliminate religion (as defined with a g-d or agency). Religion is a social phenomena that can be rooted from anyone individual philosophical ideology.

You cannot eliminate extremism. As such, is the reason why moderates exists to adjust some sort of stability among the objective masses.

Moderates exists as a mean to uphold some sort of religious middle ground until there is a degradation or total cessation of such religious teaching. They are necessary for the transformation of one extreme religious form into a lesser one.

Just like without middle class system, which is the staple or the backbone of a country’s economy, small businesses would not arise and jobs availability cannot supply for the needed demands.

Moderates tend to take both sides of the fence, whenever it is convenience or favorable for their own needs. But this is only only a short term issue. Without their driving force, extremism on the opposing end would eventually arise, adding yet another layer to the existing problem.

Posted: 11 June 2011 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-06-11

I understand that it is not possible. The question is 100% hypothetical.

Posted: 30 June 2011 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-06-30

I don’t think that moderates would really exist if there were no fundamentalists.  As much as moderates act as a buffer between the extremists and the secular world, I believe fundamentalists keep moderates going.  Religious moderates ride the fence being pulled by both the modern world and extremism, if one side was eliminated then I would suggest that they would assimilate with the other side.  So to answer your question I don’t see why there would be a problem with them, seeing that they would slowly become a part of the modern world.

Posted: 30 June 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-06-11

Thanks for the intelligent response. Do you think Sam would tend to agree with you?

Posted: 30 June 2011 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-06-30

I would hope he would.  But I think it would be arrogant of me to say for sure one way or another.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed