Politics, Religion, Philosophy, and Science is missing something.
Posted: 03 June 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-05-12

The forum heading “Politics, Religion, Philosophy, and Science” is missing something, namely “Business”.

Why “business”? An example would be Consumerism, which is a belief-system unto itself, one that is cherished by billions. But it is also the most destructive belief-system on this planet, a thousand times more destructive than any war, or natural disaster, save the planet being struck by giant meteorites and comets.

Advertising is inextricably linked to business, and perhaps should be included.

People, the media and politicians are wont to refer to the damage done by Consumerism as “progress”. This is as evil a belief as the denial of Evolution by Christian neo-cons who want Creationism taught in US schools.

As Sam Harris has often said, Atheism is a wiping away of old ideas in order to facilitate having meaningful dialogue (I’m paraphrasing here). Part of that dialogue must necessarily include how we’re living in the present day and what we’re doing to this planet.

I’m not sure if Politics should be included as well, but modern big-business, politics and advertising have such an incestuous relationship that it’s hard to say where one ends and the next begins. In Canada right now the Harper Conservatives and the BC Liberals are trying to make it illegal for people to stand in the way of business interests, especially where there are environmental concerns. This is an example of Consumerism becoming Consumer-Fascism, which is the next logical step. Consumer practices are literally getting away with murder right now. Entrenching Consumerism in our legal machinery, though a blatant conflict of interest, is the way things are headed.

So, how about it? “Business, Advertising and Politics” as a new sub-heading?

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-05-12

And before you say, “But what has this to do with Atheism?”, I would remind you that the dogma attached to belief in the need for politics, advertising and business is even more intractable that belief in the Bible or Koran. Try to tell a politician that we don’t really need politics and politicians, and that politician will stare at you as though you were speaking Sanskrit.

And so it goes.

Posted: 12 May 2013 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2013-04-11
gsmonks - 03 June 2012 11:40 AM

And before you say, “But what has this to do with Atheism?”, I would remind you that the dogma attached to belief in the need for politics, advertising and business is even more intractable that belief in the Bible or Koran. Try to tell a politician that we don’t really need politics and politicians, and that politician will stare at you as though you were speaking Sanskrit.

And so it goes.

What would the alternative be. KAOS, anarchy, um communism. If you do not want politicians to represent us than what do you want. Only scientist with Dr. Degrees are able to be elected ? There goes the constitution! What form of government are you advocating here? Are saying that we should get rid of career politicians? I’m not for sure what it is you are wanting.
CHARWIZ

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed