The national debt political game
Posted: 13 August 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-08-13

Congress claims our national debt is over 15.5 trillion, and justify their huge cuts on the need to pay it back, but what they fail to mention is that only 4.5 trillion is foreign debt, and the rest are public debts like social security, medicare, etal, that would require more taxes to pay them back.—which congress isn’t about to do

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 August 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12
rickoshay86 - 13 August 2012 02:03 PM

Congress claims our national debt is over 15.5 trillion, and justify their huge cuts on the need to pay it back, but what they fail to mention is that only 4.5 trillion is foreign debt, and the rest are public debts like social security, medicare, etal, that would require more taxes to pay them back.—which congress isn’t about to do

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. Thomas Paine

Congress has free will?
:-0

Posted: 14 August 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-08-13
toombaru - 13 August 2012 03:18 PM

Congress has free will?

Nope, just ongoing chains of reactions like the rest of us

Posted: 14 August 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12
rickoshay86 - 14 August 2012 11:15 AM
toombaru - 13 August 2012 03:18 PM

Congress has free will?

Nope, just ongoing chains of reactions like the rest of us

Then perhaps you needn’t worry about the national debt.
Oh wait a minute….........you don’t have a choice.
And I wish I didn’t have to take the time to write all this, but when it comes to choice…......neither do I also have one.
;(

Posted: 17 August 2013 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-08-18

I think you got the numbers mixed up there. The public debt of the United States is currently 72 % of the GDP, that is 11.5 Trillion US dollars, both internal and external. Yet, the External Debt (public and private) is 102 % of the GDP and that is almost 16 Trillion US dollars.

However, still yes, debt the size of a country’s GDP is very hard to pay unless the economy grows faster than the debt and it’s interest.

Signature 

If you enjoy economics:
visit my live journal page and “friend” me Live Economy Blog
Comment on and follow my wordpress blog Economy Raft

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed
newrelic.loglevel = "verbosedebug" newrelic.daemon.loglevel = "verbosedebug"