1 of 2
thank you.
Posted: 19 September 2006 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-09-14

Borders didn't have it yet, but Barnes and Noble came through.  It's condensed goodness, full of Sam's acerbic wit and prose.  I bought two copies, one for my coffee table and one to give to the next person handing out Bible's on my campus.  Thanks Sam.

Posted: 19 September 2006 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

Thanx!

Borders thwarted me, and I was too busy to pre-amazon.

I will now scour the City…...

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

Posted: 19 September 2006 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

:D B&N Rocks!

Now, off to my local with my little book…
I can’t wait to discuss this with youse guys (and gals).

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

Posted: 19 September 2006 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Can’t get enough of Harris’ writing…

“I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”—Stephen F. Roberts

Posted: 19 September 2006 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2005-07-21

I ordered my copy from Amazon Saturday and it arrived today - even with the free shipping ( I also ordered the new book of Edward Abbey’s letters, which I highly recommend by the way.) It only took three days.
I’m sitting here looking at the cover; alright, I will judge the book by its cover: it is a handsome thing. And I’m sure it will be a good read. Stay tuned!

Posted: 19 September 2006 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2005-06-09

Hey, Ed Abbey - that’s me! Or that’s where I took my online name from. Yep, ol’ Ed liked to call himself Cactus Ed, and down here in cactus country we still miss the hell out of him. Sure he’d like Sam’s writing too.

Posted: 19 September 2006 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2006-09-18

Even though I had a copy reserved, Barnes and Noble didn’t have one in the store, although the computer said they were supposed to.  The guy helping me was very nice, though, and after a while he found a copy in the basement.  I must say that it is a little smaller than I imagined it would be, although I sense that the logic is that it’s very portable and transferable that way.  And of course you can read it in a day or less.

Posted: 20 September 2006 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

It’s cheap—I’m buying several loaner copies (probably more when it comes out in paperback, or when it’s available used).

It’s a quick read that really cuts deep, right to the heart of the matter (I think that’s Sam’s superpower).

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 20 September 2006 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2005-11-30

sam never lets me down.

this one was succinct yet expansive.

Posted: 20 September 2006 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I don’t believe your statistics.  I feel sorry for you.  Do you really believe that this complex and beautiful universe that we live in is just the result of s series of random accidents?  You have proved nothing.

Posted: 20 September 2006 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2006-08-24
[quote author=“ben”]I don’t believe your statistics.  I feel sorry for you.  Do you really believe that this complex and beautiful universe that we live in is just the result of s series of random accidents?  You have proved nothing.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do believe that this has come about via a series of accidents. But don’t feel sorry for me. That will just give you an excuse to want to kill me later. Mercy killing, you know.

Oh, goody. Another scientist. Or, at least, a random accident waiting for someone to happen to.

Posted: 20 September 2006 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

ben, did you even read the book?

Evolution is hardly a random process. Only the fittest survive to spread their genes.

Oh, and why do you feel sorry for whoever you are talking to?

Posted: 01 October 2006 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Thank you, Sam, for taking all this on.  I am so grateful you have the strength, courage, and thoughtfulness to go toe-to-toe with the status quo.  You have a way of distilling the complexity of these issues unlike anyone before you.  Don’t stop writing and speaking on these matters; we need you so.

Posted: 14 October 2006 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  413
Joined  2005-06-05

Wow!  I stopped by B&N after work, bought the obligatory bean juice and cheesecake and sat down to read Letter.  Awesome!!  My bean juice went cold and I forgot about the cheesecake!  I’m buying several copies!  :D

Signature 

The road of excess leads to the palace of Wisedom
-William Blake, “Proverbs of Hell”

Life, what is it but a dream?
- Lewis Carroll, “A boat Beneath a Sunny Sky

Posted: 14 October 2006 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-06-01
[quote author=“rabbit”]Wow!  I stopped by B&N after work, bought the obligatory bean juice and cheesecake and sat down to read Letter.  Awesome!!  My bean juice went cold and I forgot about the cheesecake!  I’m buying several copies!  :D

Forgive my ignorance as a New Yorker…but you have B&N in Arkansas?

By the way at 16 USD I find the book a bit overpriced…I should be getting it in a few weeks…

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 14 October 2006 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I get 40% off with my B&N card.  And, no, they don’t even have McDonalds here.  We have to drive to Memphis.  rolleyes  LOL

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed