Jesus Camp - Christian Fundamentalism
Posted: 01 March 2007 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-02-13

For anyone that hasn't seen any clips from this documentary before, take a look and post your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVgRpRoD4A0&mode=related&search=

Kids at that age are not conditioned to ask "why?" And to these religious whackos, it's the perfect age to brainwash them with their own beliefs.

Posted: 01 March 2007 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2006-07-14

They did another documentary on Evangelicalism. Like Jesus Camp, the participants were interviewed and were quite open about their beliefs but didn’t realize that the whole point of the documentary was to make them look ridiculous.

It’s kind of like not knowing you’re the butt of a joke and thinking everyone is laughing WITH you when really they’re laughing AT you.

That’s what Christianity is to atheists—an inside joke.

Posted: 01 March 2007 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2005-05-16

Why don’t fundies attack witchcraft the same way athiests do, by telling the kids it doesn’t work?

Posted: 01 March 2007 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-02-13
[quote author=“MrMody”]Why don’t fundies attack witchcraft the same way athiests do, by telling the kids it doesn’t work?

It’s part of the belief system, if you believe in God and Jesus, what stops you from believing in witchcraft and warlocks? It’s not a large step away in any case. Black cats, walking under ladders, voodoo magic, ghosts, etc.

Damn, it’s so hard to separate the crazy fundies from the “regular” or “mild” believers… why not just forget about all of these things altogether? It’s so easy, but why is it so hard for them?

Posted: 01 March 2007 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  621
Joined  2006-12-05

Why don’t fundies attack witchcraft the same way athiests do, by telling the kids it doesn’t work?

According to the Bible, magic does exist.  If they tell their kids, “it doesn’t work”, they’d be admitting that the Bible’s wrong.

Posted: 01 March 2007 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  2006-04-24

[quote author=“NobleSavage”]

According to the Bible, magic does exist.  If they tell their kids, “it doesn’t work”, they’d be admitting that the Bible’s wrong.

Yep.  This reminds me of a line from The Crucible.  John Proctor is accused of not believing in witches.  To counter this accusation, Proctor says something like “The Bible talks of witches, so I’ll give you that they exist.” 

Hm.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if this was not his first huge mistake.  Imagine how different things might have turned out if he and others denied the existence of witches and put the burden of proof on those claiming that they do exist? 

Nah.  Irrationality was unstoppable back then.  They would have hanged him anyway.

Posted: 02 March 2007 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  621
Joined  2006-12-05

“Actually, I see no reason to believe in witches.  Perhaps you could show me evidence that proves they exist.  And while we’re at it, what about this devil fellow who supposedly is trying to get people to sell his soul.  Just as an experiement, I offered to give mine away for free and he never showed up.  And how about this biblical assertion that the world is flat.  Didn’t Columbus disprove that hundreds of years ago.  And furthermore…”

*Drop*  *sickening cracking sound*

P.S. I don’t know if I ever mentioned it on this board but I did offer to give my soul away to the devil if he showed up to collect on or before 6/6/06.  The deadline came and past and he was a no show. 

I can only assume that means my soul is so worthless I can’t even give it away.

Posted: 04 March 2007 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2007-02-13

This movie is crazy. I had no idea that people like that existed. Everybody should watch it, and show it to your friends.

P.S. I don’t know if I ever mentioned it on this board but I did offer to give my soul away to the devil if he showed up to collect on or before 6/6/06. The deadline came and past and he was a no show.

Actually thats my fault. I help Satan collect souls, and we were just too busy to get to you. Hollywood keeps us really busy. Hollywood is actually why he had to hire me. He’s only one demi-god he can’t do it all. We’re interested in your soul, we really are. You’ll just have to be patient. American Idol sets us back about 4 weeks every season (and thats just one reality show). Know that we’re busy, and know that we’ll get to you when we can.

Posted: 04 March 2007 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

[quote author=“NobleSavage”]
P.S. I don’t know if I ever mentioned it on this board but I did offer to give my soul away to the devil if he showed up to collect on or before 6/6/06.  The deadline came and past and he was a no show. 

It’s funny, you reminded me of how, when I was a teenager sitting around the high school caferteria table with my buddies during lunch about 1980, I would freak them out by saying: “O Satan, come to me tonight. Come to me in my sleep and take me with you forever. Take my soul!  I dare you, Satan.”

And my friends would laugh nervously and say, “you shouldn’t mess with that stuff man.  I mean, you never know…..”

On some level, I guess I did know. 

Hey raspberry Let me do it again.

I denounce the existence of god! God sucks! Satan, please come to me before tomorrow and give me a sure sign of your existence. I DARE YOU!  Satan, I dare you to visit me tonight!  :twisted: Come to me, Satan, you coward! COME TO ME IN MY SLEEP AND STEAL MY ETERNAL SOUL, SATAN! God, you keep out of this.http://freeweb.supereva.com/esorciccio2002/smilies/angel1.gif

There. I’ll let you know what happened tomorrow.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 04 March 2007 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2006-10-23

Is there no legal way to stop this?

This is blatant child abuse.  Get the FFRF on it?

Posted: 04 March 2007 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-02-05

for whoever said that the people in the film were kinda conned into this…

your wrong, the becky fisher lady gave it her seal of approval before it was officially released. This movie was not edited to make them look like idiots. The directors said they even formed friendships with some of the familys and still talk with them. these people are really this fucked up.

Posted: 05 March 2007 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

[quote author=“HappyHeathen”]
It’s funny, you reminded me of how, when I was a teenager sitting around the high school caferteria table with my buddies during lunch about 1980, I would freak them out by saying: “O Satan, come to me tonight. Come to me in my sleep and take me with you forever. Take my soul!  I dare you, Satan.”

And my friends would laugh nervously and say, “you shouldn’t mess with that stuff man.  I mean, you never know…..”

On some level, I guess I did know. 

Hey raspberry Let me do it again.

I denounce the existence of god! God sucks! Satan, please come to me before tomorrow and give me a sure sign of your existence. I DARE YOU!  Satan, I dare you to visit me tonight!  :twisted: Come to me, Satan, you coward! COME TO ME IN MY SLEEP AND STEAL MY ETERNAL SOUL, SATAN! God, you keep out of this.http://freeweb.supereva.com/esorciccio2002/smilies/angel1.gif

There. I’ll let you know what happened tomorrow.

Well, I’m still here. Guess that’s settled!

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 31 August 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-05-17
Keytard - 04 March 2007 09:08 AM

This movie is crazy. I had no idea that people like that existed. Everybody should watch it, and show it to your friends.

P.S. I don’t know if I ever mentioned it on this board but I did offer to give my soul away to the devil if he showed up to collect on or before 6/6/06. The deadline came and past and he was a no show.

Actually thats my fault. I help Satan collect souls, and we were just too busy to get to you. Hollywood keeps us really busy. Hollywood is actually why he had to hire me. He’s only one demi-god he can’t do it all. We’re interested in your soul, we really are. You’ll just have to be patient. American Idol sets us back about 4 weeks every season (and thats just one reality show). Know that we’re busy, and know that we’ll get to you when we can.

Here it is, 5.5 years later, and Satan is a no-show. Booorrring!

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed