Sam is right
Posted: 05 June 2007 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-01-06

I have just read "End of Faith". I am glad an American wrote that. I just hope Sam is safe from those mad Christian Fundies. I have just finished and congratulate Sam for writing that and the "Letter to a Christian Nation".

I am a bedraggled refugee from the "Holy" Roman Catholic Church, now a Card Carrying Atheist. I manage my own MSN Group" Militant Atheist Materialists. I live in Australia and there is none of this Christian bigotry towards Atheists.

When I read about the Evangalical Christians and the power they wield in America, and the fact that about 50% of Americans believe the Universe in on older than 10,000 years, I question the mentality of Americans.

Sam askes the question: how can this be stopped. I would suggest that children be no longer given bible stories and taught about god and Jesus. They should be introduced to simple science and hepled to understand about the Universe. Then their minds would not be poluted with "bibleshit" and lies. That would be the beginning of the proper education of Americans.

Signature 

em hotep

Rev. Robert Tobin (Minister, First Church of Atheism)
Thank “god” I am Atheist grin

Posted: 29 November 2007 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-06-26

I hope you not have not taken too much pride in being an atheist. As an American, from Massachusetts, I don’t think 50% of Americans believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years old. What that number really means is that 50% of Americans go on record as saying they believe what the bible says. What they actually believe is something completely different.

We must not and try to and take a hostile role against religion. We need to take a hostile role towards ignorance. If some parts (or all) of religion happens to fall into that ignorance category then so be it.

We all fight Intelligent Design, not because it is religion based, it is though, but because it is ignorant and we have a better theory.

Posted: 01 December 2007 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2006-11-25

Regardless of religions, race, color, language, countries, species, all are within the same tiny dew drop in this one particular infinite universe within this one particular dimensional realm along this one particular river of time.

Hence, when the time comes, all are on the same boat, whether or not one is religious or not religious.

Posted: 26 January 2008 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-26
eccles - 05 June 2007 05:26 PM

Sam askes the question: how can this be stopped. I would suggest that children be no longer given bible stories and taught about god and Jesus. They should be introduced to simple science and hepled to understand about the Universe. Then their minds would not be poluted with "bibleshit" and lies. That would be the beginning of the proper education of Americans.

I personally believe Daniel Dennett is on to something with his idea of a mandatory and standardized theology course in public school. The best weapon against ignorance isn’t more ignorance but knowledge. If students are shown the full horrible scope of all religions then it probably would do more damage to them, and be less controversial, than simply preventing the selected teaching of the bible.

Posted: 26 January 2008 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2006-12-26

I am all for mandatory education of Muslim children in the actual teachings of the Quran and Mohammad.

For example, it is entirely appropriate to ask 6-year old girls from Muslim households how they would feel if a 50 year old male rubbed his “thing” between their thighs until the sticky stuff came, and that they he was to start pushing it into them just a couple of years afterwards.

Posted: 27 January 2008 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-26
arildno - 26 January 2008 06:58 PM

I am all for mandatory education of Muslim children in the actual teachings of the Quran and Mohammad.

For example, it is entirely appropriate to ask 6-year old girls from Muslim households how they would feel if a 50 year old male rubbed his “thing” between their thighs until the sticky stuff came, and that they he was to start pushing it into them just a couple of years afterwards.

I don’t quite understand what your example has to do with your statement. Does the Quran or Arabic culture advocate pedophilia or childhood marriage?

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed