2 of 2
The bottom line
Posted: 20 August 2007 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-08-19
[quote author=“Johnny Sweatpants”]I think that KISS is just great and that the Elder is an underrated masterpiece. 

You’re right -  Music from the Elder was wrongly overlooked by some fans.  Sure, it’s not Destroyer but there’s stuff in there you just can’t ignore.

Posted: 20 August 2007 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-16

Who do you guys like besides Kiss?

Signature 

Music by me: http://www.myspace.com/gwoodbonobos

Posted: 21 August 2007 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

Well, I like Rufus Wainwright and Gillian Welch. bluegrass. With pop music, it’s a weird thing. I can love something but never want to hear it again, as it sits just right nostalgically in memory but has no power aurally. I saw this guy Sufjan Stevens on PBS - an American folk singer, whose music I enjoyed. A bit taken aback when I found him on iTunes and saw the number of religious songs he sings (traditional and perhaps otherwise). That seems to be the case with Welch, too. I still like her music, though. Weird contradiction there. I suppose it’s like being Jewish and liking Wagner.

Isn’t it funny how VicM does his fly-bys - drops in to proseltyze and runs away for long periods of time, only to return weeks later, addressing none of his responses, only dropping another turd bomb of self-righteousness?  He must actually believe he’s somehow proving something!

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 21 August 2007 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-08-16

My favorites include the Verve, Primal Scream, Beta Band, Elliot Smith and the Dandy Warhols.  I’m also a big fan of most things 60’s - Beatles, Velvet Underground, Floyd etc.  Currently I’m loving Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem and Midlake. 

Everyone keeps recommending Sufjan Stevens to me but I’m not having it!

Signature 

Signatures are pretentious and ultimately a distraction to the topic.

Posted: 21 August 2007 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

[quote author=“Johnny Sweatpants”]My favorites include the Verve, Primal Scream, Beta Band, Elliot Smith and the Dandy Warhols.  I’m also a big fan of most things 60’s - Beatles, Velvet Underground, Floyd etc.  Currently I’m loving Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem and Midlake. 

Everyone keeps recommending Sufjan Stevens to me but I’m not having it!

What’s your reason for rejecting Sufjan?

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2006-03-02

I just wanted to commend everyone here on a wonderful example of thread hijacking.  If there was ever an example of a thread that deserved to be hijacked, this is it.  I don’t know if it was planned or spontaneous, but in any event, Bravo!!!

We really need to do this more often.  From now on, whenever VicM posts a new thread, let’s just start talking about our favorite Rock bands (or foreign films or what have you).

Signature 

What do I care for a hell for oppressors? What good can hell do, since those children have already been tortured? And what becomes of harmony, if there is hell? I want to forgive. I want to embrace. I don’t want more suffering. And if the sufferings of children go to swell the sum of sufferings which was necessary to pay for truth, then I protest that the truth is not worth such a price.
-Ivan Karamazov

Posted: 21 August 2007 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-08-16

No reason, I’m just being stubborn.  Actually it’s all that spyware on ITunes, Amazon etc.  “If you like this, then you’ll LOVE this!”  And then I’m all “How do you know?  You don’t know me!  And besides, I’m way too deep to be taking recommendations from a computer program!”

Sigh… The worst part is that the machine is right.  The stuff I’ve heard by him is intriguing.

Signature 

Signatures are pretentious and ultimately a distraction to the topic.

Posted: 21 August 2007 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-16

I like most of that music, too. My favorites are New Model Amy and The Lemonheads. Just so you know.  :D

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2007 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2007-05-28

I’ve recently re-discovered The Tragically Hip.  They’re a pretty huge band in Canada but they haven’t had a radio hit in the US.  The Hip has been around since the 80s but they still sound great.

Posted: 22 August 2007 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-16
[quote author=“sambarge”]I’ve recently re-discovered The Tragically Hip.  They’re a pretty huge band in Canada but they haven’t had a radio hit in the US.  The Hip has been around since the 80s but they still sound great.

I reviewed their first album back in my rock journo days, it was excerpted for their print ads, and they wrote me a letter thanking me for the good review. Very strange how no one in the US has heard of them (I exaggerate, of course), but in Canada they’re a standard.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-02-07
VicM - 19 July 2007 06:08 AM

The bottom line is that people become atheists, not because there is no proof that God exists (the proof is all around) but, because they can't stand the notion that they have to be accountable to someone, given the lifestyle choices they have made. In short as I've stated before, atheists love their sin.

They further compound this problem by hiding behind "reason." Reason has nothing to do with atheism. Reason and atheism are antithetical. When atheists claim to be reasonable people, they are lying.

Tell me what is "reasonable" about sitting in judgement of God? None of you people have been around forever, not even your foolish scientists who affirm, dogmatically, by the way, that the Earth is x billions of years old. However, whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not, God has. And He has given testimony of His actions. Nature is proof of this testimony.

Wow!! I just started here and this person (VicM) is quite annoying, and a complete idiot to boot!!  Why does he post here if he truly believes what he believes? Is he trying to convert people to his faith (Dark Ages) ? Surely he should realize by now, he’s barking up the proverbial WRONG TREE. Blind faith is just that, Blind!  If I believed a rock in my yard was GOD, would he believe it? No! Know why? Because you could simply destroy it with a hammer, or a bigger rock. But because we can not See, Touch, or hear GOD, Blind faith is all he can use to justify the big Boogie Man in the Sky. Just my two cents worth. They call it, Logic and reasoning.  I know it’s a rather simplistic take on the whole idea of God, versus Logic and Reasoning, but it just works.  Have a great day all.

Signature 

The most formidable weapon against errors, of every kind, is Reason. I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall. Thomas Paine

and:

There is NO religion Higher then Truth

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed