1 of 5
If life is a positive and death is a negative…........
Posted: 13 August 2007 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-12-05

then mathematically wouldn't that make life= 1 and death= -1

i thought death would be zero, but zero is not a negative. Its still a number, isn't it?

Life is a positive and death is the opposite of life which means it would have to be a negative. The nearest negative to 1 is -1.

So is death -1?

If it is then what is zero?

Zero rests in between 1 and -1. So what is it? Its not life and its not death. Its neither. So what is it?

Is it a state of no-life and no-death?

Is it a state of nothingness? Is it the 'emptiness' that the buddhists talk of?

Is this what Antoine Lavoisier was talking about when he said 'nothing is born, nothing dies' ?

ok probably better to ask the kurzweilian transhumanists instead they understand my ramblings more betterish

Signature 

“All Truth passes through Three Stages: First, it is Ridiculed…
Second, it is Violently Opposed…
Third, it is Accepted as being Self-Evident.”

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted: 16 September 2007 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-08-28

But why does LIFE = 1?

Posted: 16 September 2007 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

and in what manner(s) are life and death opposites?

Seriously, that may sound like a dumb question, but I think of organic matter in one form, and ask myself whether it’s its opposite when it’s in another form.

Or, I ask whether eternal nonexistence is the opposite of my unimaginably fleeting consciousness/awareness (if comparisons can be made).

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 17 September 2007 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-08-28

Additionally, some might say that ‘death’ is actually a ‘+’... the next step, the next big challenge etc…

Posted: 17 September 2007 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26

If this is true, one could use live people and dead people to generate electricity.

Sorry, bad joke…

Posted: 17 September 2007 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-01-14

Death is the norm.
Life is the exception.

We’re deep in negative territory.

Signature 

“Don’t listen to me, listen to your head”
—Jourgensen

Posted: 22 September 2007 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-05
mattriceten - 16 September 2007 06:02 AM

But why does LIFE = 1?

Because if life=2 then what would 1 be?

Signature 

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted: 27 March 2008 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2007-10-05

Death is not the opposite of life but the opposite of birth.  Life is what you do between the two.

Posted: 27 March 2008 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Under New Management - 28 March 2008 01:00 AM

Death is not the opposite of life but the opposite of birth.  Life is what you do between the two.

Birth is active, death is attractive.  Life is the function that unites these poles.  What is the result?

Posted: 27 March 2008 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2007-10-05

Hi burt.

“What is the result?”  uhhhhhhhhhh…......... You first. 

I read your posts on the math thread originally posted back in December 2007 and most recently on March 4th this year.

I’m afraid to talk to you.

Posted: 27 March 2008 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-01-27
Under New Management - 28 March 2008 01:00 AM

Life is a trajectory. Birth is when you first fly above a threshold, death is when you fall back down below. it.

The up and down dimension here must be something to do with consciousness, I guess.

Signature 

New for 2009: see my godblogs here (PDF, 272 pages, 1.2 MB)

Posted: 28 March 2008 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
burt - 28 March 2008 03:13 AM

Birth is active, death is attractive.  Life is the function that unites these poles.  What is the result?

Any chance you can translate that into rational?

Seriously. It sounds like you just happened to net some random synaptic activity and translated it into language, otherwise completely unprocessed. Those of us not inside your head with you need a bit more processing to make that comprehensible.

(i.e.: Yeah, I’m fucking with you a bit, but ... oh come on!)

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 28 March 2008 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
ligh+bringer - 17 September 2007 09:18 PM

Death is the norm.
Life is the exception.

Absolutely (using “death” in the sense of “Not alive.” rather than “The transition between being alive and being dead.”).

I think the fact that death applies to both the transition and the state of being dead causes some confusion, or maybe just some slightly muddled thinking (not an error of some kind, just one of the inherent vagaries of having to rely on language to communicate thoughts ... particularly, it seems, English). It forces us to distinguish between death and dying, or to just presume we’re in agreement (or, of course, we may just plod along, oblivious—again, a vagary, not necessarily an error).

At any rate, yeah—not being alive is most certainly the norm, and life exceptional ... from the perspective of individual life forms anyway. However, we’re not sure yet whether the presence and development of life is the norm where the necessary conditions exist or not. In any case such environments are astronomically exceptional, and individual lives within them still more so.

Byron

[ Edited: 29 March 2008 09:30 AM by SkepticX]
 Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 28 March 2008 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2006-11-03

Melancolin: 
    In my pretty vision of it, life is energy condensing into matter and death is matter transforming into energy. 
    Or, to put it another way, life is a pattern of matter and energy which dissolves into another pattern of matter and energy, which is death. And the cycle repeats.
    I can’t reduce it to numbers or put it into a mathematical equation (although there might be some people on this forum who maybe could). I can only offer the way I imagine it.
    If you’ve been pondering death, I can recommend a really fun book which I just picked up on a lark and enjoyed called ‘Exit Strategy’ by Michelle Cromer which is about various fun ways you can arrange to have your body disposed of when you are dead… including my two favorites:  being shot off in a fireworks display, and being turned into a diamond. How cool is that?

Posted: 29 March 2008 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-01-27
ligh+bringer - 17 September 2007 09:18 PM

Death is the norm.
Life is the exception.

Wrong. The universe is alive. The hills are alive with the sound of celestial music.

Human life is transient, bounded by birth and death. When we die, the music of our souls lives on in the celestial symphony.

Signature 

New for 2009: see my godblogs here (PDF, 272 pages, 1.2 MB)

Posted: 29 March 2008 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-05
woofy - 28 March 2008 09:39 AM

Melancolin: 
    In my pretty vision of it, life is energy condensing into matter and death is matter transforming into energy. 
    Or, to put it another way, life is a pattern of matter and energy which dissolves into another pattern of matter and energy, which is death. And the cycle repeats.

so what does that energy become after death?

does this mean rebirth would make sense, scientifically speaking?

If you’ve been pondering death, I can recommend a really fun book which I just picked up on a lark and enjoyed called ‘Exit Strategy’ by Michelle Cromer which is about various fun ways you can arrange to have your body disposed of when you are dead… including my two favorites:  being shot off in a fireworks display, and being turned into a diamond. How cool is that?

I dunno if i wanna go out ala Hunter S. Thompson.

I’m banking of Kurzweil’s predictions. I like the idea of death being nothing more than an engineering problem. I could think of plenty of reasons to hang around for at least a couple of hundred years.

[ Edited: 29 March 2008 08:55 AM by meloncolin]
 Signature 

- Arthur Schopenhauer

1 of 5

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed