Einstein on religion
Posted: 13 May 2008 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2007-10-05

“For me,” he added, “the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions.”

Addressing the idea that the Jews are God’s chosen people, Einstein wrote that “the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything ‘chosen’ about them.”

http://www6.comcast.net/articles/news-world-europe/20080513/einstein.bible/

Signature 

“Most of the Israelites did not come from outside Canaan - they emerged from within it. There was no mass Exodus from Egypt…no violent conquest of Canaan. The early Israelites were - irony of ironies - themselves originally Canaanites!

The conquest of Canaan by Joshua could not have happened [as] described in the Bible. Most of the towns…either weren’t inhabited, didn’t exist or were conquered at wildly different times.” —Finkelstein and Silberman

Posted: 14 May 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2006-10-09

Here is another article about Einstein’s religous views referencing the same letter.

Belief in God a ‘product of human weaknesses’: Einstein letter

I’d like to think this will permanently silence those who keep using Einstein’s “God does not play dice with the universe” quote to try and assert he believed in something like the Judeo-Christian God, but that hope is probably forlorn.  The same sort of people assert that Thomas Paine and Chas. Darwin had deathbed conversions, and ignore any evidence which doesn’t conform with their beliefs.

Signature 

I am the very model of a Christian Evangelical
I’ve no need for courtesy when fighting things heretical
I know the bible word for word; you’ll find me pedagogical
I have my faith so I’ve no need for ideas that are logical
Atheists and Pagans fall before my wit satirical
They’ll burn in hell just as they should; their cries will be so lyrical
I’m always right, you’re always wrong, my reasoning’s dogmatical
For I’m the very model of a Christian Evangelical

Posted: 14 May 2008 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Billy Shears - 14 May 2008 02:58 PM

I’d like to think this will permanently silence those who keep using Einstein’s “God does not play dice with the universe” quote to try and assert he believed in something like the Judeo-Christian God, but that hope is probably forlorn.  The same sort of people assert that Thomas Paine and Chas. Darwin had deathbed conversions, and ignore any evidence which doesn’t conform with their beliefs.

Exactly. Their “strength of faith” makes them impervious to correction.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 16 May 2008 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2007-12-10
Billy Shears - 14 May 2008 02:58 PM

Here is another article about Einstein’s religous views referencing the same letter.

Belief in God a ‘product of human weaknesses’: Einstein letter

For the sake of accuracy, you might wanna note that Darwin was a theistic agnostic.  He just hated organized religion (Christianity specifically) and after his daughter died he didn’t believe God, if one exists, was necessarily benevolent.  He wasn’t convinced there was a God but coud find no way evidence that there wasn’t either.  He felt one couldn’t know for sure without divine revelation and he noted he never enjoyed such experiences.  So he essentially went with Pascal’s Wager and assumed there was some sort of God up there. 

You are right though, any of these intellectual leaders who tended to often be deists, pantheists, agnostics or otherwise get spun into being either evnagelical Christians or cold heated athiests depending on which action the religious right wishes to attach them to at any prticular time(or in Darwin’s case apply all responsibility on whether real or imagined).

[ Edited: 16 May 2008 12:55 AM by tavishhill2003]

Posted: 16 May 2008 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

[quote author=“tavishhill2003”]For the sake of accuracy, you might wanna note that Darwin was a theistic agnostic.  He just hated organized religion (Christianity specifically) and after his daughter died he didn’t believe God, if one exists, was necessarily benevolent.  He wasn’t convinced there was a God but coud find no way evidence that there wasn’t either.  He felt one couldn’t know for sure without divine revelation and he noted he never enjoyed such experiences.  So he essentially went with Pascal’s Wager and assumed there was some sort of God up there.

Thank you for that bit of information about Darwin’s views. I did not know anything about his thoughts on revelation. If there is a God, I agree with Darwin that revelation is the only way we will encounter that God.

Posted: 16 May 2008 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10
Bruce Burleson - 16 May 2008 06:32 PM

Thank you for that bit of information about Darwin’s views. I did not know anything about his thoughts on revelation. If there is a God, I agree with Darwin that revelation is the only way we will encounter that God.

Pardon me for being so blunt to point this out to you Bruce, but you just let a Freudian slip slip.
“If there is a god”.

Doubt is a good thing my brother and there is no need to shy away from it.

Even though the odds are stacked against you, being a lawyer and a Texan grin , I’d be very surprised if you won’t take the red pill pretty soon.

The cookies are awaiting, not to mention some very hot, guilt- free sex with some godless floozies.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 16 May 2008 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

[quote author=“Sander”]Pardon me for being so blunt to point this out to you Bruce, but you just let a Freudian slip slip.
“If there is a god”.

Doubt is a good thing my brother and there is no need to shy away from it.

Even though the odds are stacked against you, being a lawyer and a Texan grin , I’d be very surprised if you won’t take the red pill pretty soon.

The cookies are awaiting, not to mention some very hot, guilt- free sex with some godless floozies.

Sorry to disappoint you, my friend, but I use the phrase “if there is a God” routinely on this forum, in an attempt to maintain some degree of objectivity. I don’t claim to know that there is a God, I simply believe that there is a God. I see nothing Freudian about it, but I will leave that to our resident psychologists.

And “if there is a God” - remember - he created the sex and the floozies, as well as the herbs that go into the cookies, the wine from the water, etc.

By the way, I have been tuning in to The Sundays more now that you mentioned them.  They had sort of passed under my radar screen. Nice group.

Posted: 18 May 2008 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04

Einstein was perhaps the most brilliant human being to live…we will never know as Jews were systematically killed and repressed by Christianity until the 20th century and there may have been others.  Reading the many things he has to say about Physics far out weights his opinion on Religion.

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

Posted: 18 May 2008 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2007-05-22
LogicAndReason - 18 May 2008 10:42 PM

Einstein was perhaps the most brilliant human being to live…we will never know as Jews were systematically killed and repressed by Christianity until the 20th century and there may have been others.

If a tree falls in the forest…

Signature 

Something’s Moving.

~Albert Einstein

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed