Obama’s Speech to the Muslim world
Posted: 04 June 2009 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-04-14

I put this in this forum because i felt it related directly to Sam Harris’s books.  What is your opinons on Obama’s speech, do you think it was affective, what do you think of his approach, a moderate christian talking to a moderate muslim population perhaps?  Did it reach the Muslim fundamentalists?

Posted: 05 June 2009 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-05-18

I have my personal conflict trying to pinpoint the exact religious orientation of Barak Obama. I’ve been tempted to think he’s really an atheist. I’m aware of his necessary pretense of claiming to be Christian if he wanted to get somewhere in his political career.

Therefore, his speech to the muslim world sounded rahter unctuous and, indeed, vague. I don’t think fundamentalist muslims, or from any other religion for that matter, generally have the intellectual ability to change their mind. That is precisely the problem with faith, since no argument or evidence was ever used to persuade them into it, none can be used to dissuade them from it. The only way in which the fall of religion will ever seem a likely event is by educating our new generations.

Posted: 05 June 2009 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20
Thalamus - 05 June 2009 01:10 PM

The only way in which the fall of religion will ever seem a likely event is by educating our new generations.

Sam Harris comments:

“Clearly, it is time we learned to meet our emotional needs without embracing the preposterous . . . without lying to ourselves about the nature of reality.  Only then will the practice of raising our children to believe that they are Christian, Muslim, or Jewish be widely recognized as the ludicrous obscenity that it is.  And only then will we stand a chance of healing the deepest and most dangerous fractures in our world.”

(quoted from LETTER TO A CHRISTIAN NATION)

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2011-04-26

I tend to think Obama is a mystic but not necessarily a traditional Christian.  He talks about collective salvation and ‘my brother’s keeper.’  I would guess he believes in an afterlife the way he repeatedly talks about ‘sacrifice.’

[ Edited: 27 September 2011 08:40 PM by mormovies]

Posted: 17 May 2012 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-17

The post has really peaks my interest. I’m going to bookmark your site and hold checking for brand new information.

drug tests

[ Edited: 24 May 2012 03:55 AM by Mike Murray]

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed