Apostasy Stories
Posted: 26 April 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-04-26

In this thread, let’s share apostasy stories. I’ll start with mine.

When I was a Christian child, I was always fearful that Yahweh might punish me with eternal damnation. Day after day, I would worship him telepathically. One night, I worshiped him out loud in my sleep, to my mother’s distress.

When I was seventeen years old, a YouTube video entitled “Rejecting Atheism” inadvertently inspired me to question the existence of Yahweh, Heaven, Hell, the afterlife, and even the supernatural soul. Once I realized that these concepts did not meet the burden of proof, my hadephobia disappeared like a child’s fear of an imaginary monster in the closet. It felt disillusioning to realize that what I had feared the most was imaginary.

Philosophy offers freedom from thought control. It’s the most difficult path to follow, because it demands study, not worship. Naturalism has nothing to fear but fear itself. With such freedom comes the responsibility to be good for the sake of being good and to make the best of the one life that we know that we have.

Posted: 28 April 2011 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  802
Joined  2010-11-12
TheThinkingNaturalist - 26 April 2011 08:59 PM

In this thread, let’s share apostasy stories. I’ll start with mine.

When I was a Christian child, I was always fearful that Yahweh might punish me with eternal damnation. Day after day, I would worship him telepathically. One night, I worshiped him out loud in my sleep, to my mother’s distress.

When I was seventeen years old, a YouTube video entitled “Rejecting Atheism” inadvertently inspired me to question the existence of Yahweh, Heaven, Hell, the afterlife, and even the supernatural soul. Once I realized that these concepts did not meet the burden of proof, my hadephobia disappeared like a child’s fear of an imaginary monster in the closet. It felt disillusioning to realize that what I had feared the most was imaginary.

Philosophy offers freedom from thought control. It’s the most difficult path to follow, because it demands study, not worship. Naturalism has nothing to fear but fear itself. With such freedom comes the responsibility to be good for the sake of being good and to make the best of the one life that we know that we have.

Religion is easy to drop.
It simply has nothing to back it up.
Now you are ready to drop a more insidious belief structure:
The idea of you being a separate autonomous self.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed