3 of 9
One sentence for why you are an Atheist . . .
Posted: 25 September 2011 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15
Janus 6 - 25 September 2011 09:51 AM

If someone do not believe that New York City exists then he have the right to believe that, “New York city no not exists”  create forums and try to convince people around the world.
Thank you for help me understand what it means to be an atheist.

(Andrew):  You’re welcome, but I still don’t think you’ve got a good grasp on it.  It may just be a communication difficulty, though…I’m thinking that English is not your first language?
Atheism doesn’t try to convince anyone of anything (that’s proselytizing).  You shouldn’t try to make more of it than is there…it’s just the absence of belief.
Passive, not active.

Keep trying…I’m sure you’ll get it eventually.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 25 September 2011 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-09-20

(Andrew):  You’re welcome, but I still don’t think you’ve got a good grasp on it.  It may just be a communication difficulty, though…I’m thinking that English is not your first language?
Atheism doesn’t try to convince anyone of anything (that’s proselytizing).  You shouldn’t try to make more of it than is there…it’s just the absence of belief.
Passive, not active.

My first language is not English, and is funny but when I go to forums in my lenguage they want to send me back to school, because I haven’t learn English well and already forget mine. Thanks Andrew for your hospitality.
(Andrew) atheism doesn’t try to convince anyone of anything (that’s proselytizing). 
Do you recommend Sam Harris to stop writing books?

Posted: 25 September 2011 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-10-01
Janus 6 - 25 September 2011 05:24 PM

Passive, not active.

My first language is not English, and is funny but when I go to forums in my lenguage they want to send me back to school, because I haven’t learn English well and already forget mine. Thanks Andrew for your hospitality.
(Andrew) atheism doesn’t try to convince anyone of anything (that’s proselytizing). 

I must have missed his book on atheism, have you got the title…

Signature 

When you’re chewing on life’s gristle
Don’t grumble, give a whistle
And this’ll help things turn out for the best…
And…always look on the bright side of life…
Always look on the light side of life.
Monty Python’s Life of Brian grin

Posted: 25 September 2011 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Janus 6 - 25 September 2011 05:24 PM

(Andrew):  I’m not sure I understand.  What does that have to do with atheism?

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 25 September 2011 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2007-05-28
Andrew - 22 September 2011 11:52 PM
sambarge - 22 September 2011 11:34 PM

I am an atheist because I’m a feminist.

(Andrew):  Explain yourself.

I thought I was only supposed to write one sentence.

When I was 8 yrs old, a priest in our Christian Living class explained to us that women were the vessel of sin and that because of Eve we, the girls, were destined to be subject to men for the rest of eternity, by God’s command.  As an 8 yr old, I was already a feminist and I knew damn well that I was smarter than my brother and that I would never be subject to a man.  So, I looked at Father Tim and thought:  “You’re a liar.”  Once I knew he was lying about that, it didn’t take long to figure out that he was lying about all the other stuff too.  By the time I was 11 yrs old, I was an atheist but I started down that road because at 8 yrs old I was a feminist.

Sufficiently explained?

Posted: 25 September 2011 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
sambarge - 25 September 2011 09:42 PM

Sufficiently explained?

(Andrew):  Sure.  I was just curious about the connection.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2011 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

To free2011
Now free2011 The goal of life is to control de universe or to disappear?

Is there something more important than Love?

=====================================================

(Andrew):  I’m not sure I understand.  What does that have to do with atheism?

MARTIN UK: I must have missed his book on atheism, have you got the title…

Sam Harris: nonbelievers must try to convince religious people “of the illegitimacy of their core beliefs.”

Do Sam Harris does proselytism ?

Posted: 26 September 2011 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Janus 6 - 26 September 2011 05:17 AM

(Andrew):  He may…I don’t know…but that has nothing to do with his atheism, which speaks only to his lack of belief in gods.  If he wants to try, in his books, to convince others to become atheists, that’s proselytizing, but a different issue. 
If he were an atheist—and a stand-up comic—would you then say that atheism is about telling jokes?

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2011 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-18

sambarge

“I thought I was only supposed to write one sentence.
When I was 8 yrs old, a priest in our Christian Living class explained to us that women were the vessel of sin and that because of Eve we, the girls, were destined to be subject to men for the rest of eternity, by God’s command.  As an 8 yr old, I was already a feminist and I knew damn well that I was smarter than my brother and that I would never be subject to a man.  So, I looked at Father Tim and thought:  “You’re a liar.”  Once I knew he was lying about that, it didn’t take long to figure out that he was lying about all the other stuff too.  By the time I was 11 yrs old, I was an atheist but I started down that road because at 8 yrs old I was a feminist.
Sufficiently explained?”

So, your rejection of sexism led you to question everything else they were feeding you? Great! That makes a lot more sense.
I would say that you are a skeptic because you just couldn’t swallow sexism. skepticism leads to atheism.

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2011-04-26

I require a rational reason to believe anything.

Posted: 28 September 2011 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

(Andrew):  He may…I don’t know…but that has nothing to do with his atheism

(mormovies) I require a rational reason to believe anything.

Dear mormovies, just look how atheists evade questions and you can find what atheism means.
Atheism: The irrational disbelieve of God

Posted: 28 September 2011 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

atheists should not be afraid of questions and only be skeptical of answers while rejecting answers without evidence.

Posted: 29 September 2011 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-09-28

I am an atheist because the alternatives are not logical options.

Posted: 30 September 2011 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Airisaiia

I am an atheist because the alternatives are not logical options.

Airsaiia, please take 2 minutes to answere this 3 simple questions.
Go to the basic, the first two unicellular beings 3.5 billion years ago talking to each other.
#1 say : We will evolve and cover the earth, create planes, computers, music, particle accelerators, etc etc.
#2 say: That is not logical.

Who was right?
#1 or #2?
Today there are two person talking to each other.
#1 say (astrophysicist): The last being of the evolution chain will be immortal and able to control galaxies
#2 say: That is no logical
Who is right?
#1 or #2?

If you do not believe in God, do you believe in life?

Posted: 01 October 2011 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

The statements are meaningless and don’t deserve a response other than, “whatever… if it makes you happy.”  God, Zeus or any invisible mythical being is irrelevant to any discussion of life or existence.  Religion is important in discussing human history and belief systems, not science.

3 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed