References
Posted: 04 September 2011 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-04

Hi Guys,

I am hoping you can give me a little help. I am giving a talk on atheism this Thursday. I have the it completed and rehearsed. I have decided to pump it up a little with a couple of Harris’ quotes:

“The core of science is not a mathematical model—it is intellectual honesty.”

“I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs.”

I have found a gazillion websites that refer to these and attribute them to Sam Harris, but I can’t find the references. I really like these quotes, and I feel they really hit at the heart of the matter, but I don’t want to use them without proper citations.

Does anyone have a clue where and when, or in what publication these can be found? Or if you are reading this Sam, perhaps you can just confirm you said them ( I would think a personal note from Sam Harris would do the trick!)

Thanks everyone!

Posted: 07 September 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  496
Joined  2005-02-22

They sound reasonably authentic. Could be from the blog. This would be the place to look. Aren’t you worrying about it too much?

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 07 September 2011 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-04
Nhoj Morley - 07 September 2011 03:21 PM

They sound reasonably authentic. Could be from the blog. This would be the place to look. Aren’t you worrying about it too much?

Hi, thanks for the response. I will see if I can find them on the blog. They are great quotes.

As for worrying about this too much, I wonder why those on the internet aren’t worried about it at all? I mean this is high school English composition class type of stuff. If you quote someone, you provide the citation; that way people can look it up and know you are not making it all up. I can’t speak for everyone, but I know that when I give a presentation or write a paper, I don’t want to look like a high school drop out. I mean we are rational, educated people, right? Shouldn’t we act like we are rational, educated people?

Well, that is my rant for today. Thanks for reading! Thanks for your suggestion

Z

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed