evolution for dummies required
Posted: 05 April 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-21

Hi all ,
i am currently debating over the internet which makes it slow and difficult to get a conversation flowing with a friend who is a Christian and creationist , i would like some help in one particular area , she says she believes in evolution of a sort , where a ” KIND ” of animal evolves with its own type , so all dogs come from wolves , all cats come from lions so to speak , but she doesnt believe that one species can develop into another , so all primates are just variants of each other , but they are all still the same KIND , i highlight kind because she uses this to explain the animals on Noahs ark , you only needed two of each kind of animal .................. so just just two spiders would give us all the spiders etc etc !!! .
So what im after is as simple as possible to follow proof that species do change into other species and also an easy to follow example of proof that humans evolved from a common ancestor to chimpanzees etc . i did post a video about ERV’S , but i think it went straight over her head .
CHEERS in advance
BRIAN .

Posted: 06 April 2012 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2011-05-06
beecee - 05 April 2012 01:53 PM

Hi all ,
i am currently debating over the internet which makes it slow and difficult to get a conversation flowing with a friend who is a Christian and creationist , i would like some help in one particular area , she says she believes in evolution of a sort , where a ” KIND ” of animal evolves with its own type , so all dogs come from wolves , all cats come from lions so to speak , but she doesnt believe that one species can develop into another , so all primates are just variants of each other , but they are all still the same KIND , i highlight kind because she uses this to explain the animals on Noahs ark , you only needed two of each kind of animal .................. so just just two spiders would give us all the spiders etc etc !!! .
So what im after is as simple as possible to follow proof that species do change into other species and also an easy to follow example of proof that humans evolved from a common ancestor to chimpanzees etc . i did post a video about ERV’S , but i think it went straight over her head .
CHEERS in advance
BRIAN .

Species are by definition non-interbreeding, that is, they cannot breed and have viable offspring . So one species doesn’t change into another “like that” .

The creation of a new species is called “speciation”. Humans speciated from chimps about 4-5 million years ago. There are different kinds of speciation, including animal husbandry induced speciation, but that’s not likely to satisfy your Noah’s Ark level friend since she has effectively insulated herself (how convenient!) from examples which occur in non-geological time (and are the subject of Nat Geo feature films) .

You can read about speciation in Stephen Jay Gould and Wikipedia you there a lot of books written specifically to answer Noah’s Ark People doubts and arguments. If you’re going to argue with these kinds of people you owe it to yourself to read a couple of these books. Why Evolution Is True I think is the name of one of them, also, “Hey, Let’s Put All Evangelical And Born Again Freaks On An Ark , Then Sink It” is the name of another one… unless I am not remembering the title correctly or something.

It’s like arguing about climate change. Your opponents don’t come unarmed and if you’re not ready for the bullshit they’re going to pile on you (and which has been piled on them) then you’re going to “lose” where “lose” means “be right but still appear to lose that argument”.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed