Define rationality, etc
Posted: 11 February 2005 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Even though we thank Sam Harris for turning over some tables in the temple,  his comment below seems to stop a little short in way of expressing a specific solution, since it invites the need, to address a whole other set of   questions. (important ones, no less)

Sam Harris-Rather than bring the full force of our creativity and rationality to bear on the problems of ethics, social cohesion, and even spiritual experience…

Few questions, to start.

1. Who are "the our?"

2. What about the subjectivity issue, concerning creativity?

3. Who has the final say, in what's accepted?

4. On what-who's base, is rationality defined?

5. On what-who's base, are ethics, defined?

You fine, intelligent posters, add to the list, as needed.

Curious, did that comment "catch" anyone else's attention?

Advocatus Diaboli

Posted: 12 February 2005 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2004-12-26

Might be you missed the point - or maybe I did!

I think the “point” of the book is accepting ANYTHING on “faith”.

Now as to whether that can be accomplished or accepted is another matter

Thank you

Posted: 14 February 2005 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

>>>I think the “point” of the book is accepting ANYTHING on “faith”.

The book included many points. I would be hard pressed, to whittle them down, to a single point, as you have done. (read some of the on-line book reviews. They stagger all over the place, about “various” points made in the book)

Even if that’s not “the” point of the book, or even “a” point, the comments were presented as viable options, and introduction, of a new, and different tool.

If you re-look at his statement, you may be able to see other points of concern, and suggestions.

Sam Harris-Rather than bring the full force of our creativity and rationality to bear on the problems of ethics, social cohesion, and even spiritual experience… End

*Conversation,* is a BIG “point” he makes, suggesting it’s use, as a starting point for bringing some needed changes, and to bring awareness to these obviously, needed,  changes.

The questions I presetented, seem necessary, and important.

Looks like no one’s really that interested in conversation, after all, lol.
Shhh, don’t tell Sam! wink

If I moved into your neighborhood, and wanted to change what you have grown used to, and perhaps even embrace, and made the statements, that Sam did, would you not question me about those statements?

You’d better hope..you’d get me, and not some that are currently in the position of POWER. grin (you know where)

Advocatus Diaboli

wink

Some people never say the words “I Love You” for like a child, they’re longing to be told” ~Paul Simon~

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed