Treason
Posted: 18 May 2006 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  125
Joined  2006-05-15

How about those nutcases who demonstrate at the funerals of American soldiers, that just goes to show what religion can lead to.

And make no mistake, as Sam Harris says and seems obvious to me the bulk who are the majority of ordinary believers are just as culpable, they allow the whole edifice to exist in the first place that gives these loonies a chance to emerge.

Why there isn't some treason law against such a thing is hard to understand, freedom of expression and speech is one thing but this is outrageous and borders on the criminally insane.

(Sorry, this is a PS, I just saw another topic on this same issue, I should have posted there).

Posted: 20 May 2006 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

Perhaps the mainstream christians have a problem with the Phellps church because, as crazy as this sounds, the Phellps clan are the true believers. The bible does talk about god’s wrath on nations because of the iniquity of the people. The Phellps clan takes their retorhic straight from the scriptures.

How can your oridinary everyday sane christian not condone what the Phellps clan is doing and at the same time say they believe in the bible and that it is the true word of god?

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 19 November 2006 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-10-01

The very same First Amendment which allows this web site to exist also protects the Phelps’. If we deny them their rights to their twisted beliefs, we also deny you and I those same rights. It cuts both ways. 

Posted: 19 November 2006 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

I agree with the Purple One that a system powerful enough to deny freedom of expression to some people would be powerful enough to deny those rights to you and me. I’m glad the moderator here does not delete posts just because of trolling but, apparently, only for posts that are purely commercial. I reported another one of those commercial posts just minutes ago.

Posted: 20 November 2006 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

I really HATE what the phelps are doing—-but as purple said, I have to allow them to express themselves publicly.  Their expression usually just further exposes them for the morons that they are.
I’ve noticed that many states (including mine) have passed local ordinances that keep protests at military funerals some distances away.  They can spew invective to their black little heart’s content and not bother the grieving familly.
Usually, there are a number of people from vairous veterans and/or biker’s groups to help keep the perimeter secure. :wink:

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

Posted: 17 December 2006 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-10-01

The thing is, as a Kansan, I have watched these people for years. They mainly hate gay people, and have picketed at the funerals of AIDS patients, gay activists, etc. Nobody created a fuss about them, and until they protested the Matthew Shepherd funeral in Wyoming, most people had never even heard of them.

Then comes the Iraq War, and they switch to protesting soldiers’ funerals. Suddenly, everyone comes unglued at the thought. Why are dead soldiers any better than dead gays? Why is dying from a bullet any better than dying from AIDS? {even straight people get AIDS, and they have protested the funerals of straight grandmothers who got AIDS from blood transfusions} It seems that there is more than a hint of hypocracy here, that we hate them for protesting military funerals, but ignore them for protesting AIDS funerals.

Posted: 17 December 2006 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

[quote author=“PurpleKU77”] The thing is, as a Kansan, I have watched these people for years. They mainly hate gay people, and have picketed at the funerals of AIDS patients, gay activists, etc. Nobody created a fuss about them, and until they protested the Matthew Shepherd funeral in Wyoming, most people had never even heard of them.

Then comes the Iraq War, and they switch to protesting soldiers’ funerals. Suddenly, everyone comes unglued at the thought. Why are dead soldiers any better than dead gays? Why is dying from a bullet any better than dying from AIDS? {even straight people get AIDS, and they have protested the funerals of straight grandmothers who got AIDS from blood transfusions} It seems that there is more than a hint of hypocracy here, that we hate them for protesting military funerals, but ignore them for protesting AIDS funerals.

Hey Purple,
You know, for awhile I lived in Wichita.  From 1st through 4rth grade.  I remember the town quite well.  I lived just off of 19th and West street.

Well, soldier’s funerals get more attention than the funeral’s of AIDS victims.  These people are all about the media exposure. Otherwise they would just be another obscure fundie church from Topeka, nu?

You are right, it is hypocritical of them, but much of what they profess is hypocritical in and of itself.  They didn’t get on CNN protesting Mathew Shepard’s funeral, so protesting the funeral of a dead marine in Dolton, IL should get them more airtime.  It did.  Airtime of a woman complete with requisite babe in arms stating that the Judge that told them to stay 200 yards away would one day answer to “the lord his god” for this.  I mean, how pretentious can you get?  And that is just what they want.
Best to just Ignore them.  They show themselves for the idiots they are whenever they open their mouths.

I would be curious to know how many seriously closeted Homosexuals there are in Mr. Phelps congregation.  There seems to be always a good amount of irony with these types.

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed