3 of 3
The End of Why
Posted: 26 April 2005 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I agree, however, forgetting about the christian or any other god. Do you ever lean towards thinking that there may be a COTU? I other words do you believe that something can come from nothing? I guess that would be like thinking there was something besides something or nothing, or perhaps nothing besides something or nothing. 

Do you think “highly likely” make you free from doubt?

Posted: 26 April 2005 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2005-04-12

[quote author=“fencesitter”]I agree, however, forgetting about the christian or any other god. Do you ever lean towards thinking that there may be a COTU? I other words do you believe that something can come from nothing? I guess that would be like thinking there was something besides something or nothing, or perhaps nothing besides something or nothing. 

Do you think “highly likely” make you free from doubt?

I dont believe the universe came from ‘nothing’. ‘Something’ was there, but not in a form we would recognize, as in spacetime. Without mass, there is no spacetime. But there was most certainly a quantum universe, and I believe thats the most likely source of our present universe.

There are always particles appearing and disappearing, everywhere. I wouldnt accept an explanation saying that they appeared from nothing and went back to nothing—they came from something. What the nature of that ‘something’ is, is beyond me, but I think someday we’ll figure it out. Not only that but exactly how this universe came into being.

I am free from doubt that a natural explantion can be found for any phenomenom.

Posted: 04 May 2005 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

It is rather narrow minded to equate the search for a why with a practice of religion.  Long ago, it was believed that prayer will bring badly needed rain for the crops.  Nowadays we understand the process of rain formation.  Isn’t all science and art about answering the quesiton why?  From wonderful works in philosophy and poetry to the efforts in particle physics and astronomy—isn’t this all part of the search for a big “Why”?  To claim that the answer is “God wanted so” is not good enough in this day and age, because most of us will ask “why did God want so?” and “who created God?” and “Why does God exist?” ,etc., etc.  If our creator did not want us to ponder these questions, he would had certainly not given us the tools to do so.  Organized religion has, throughout centuries, obstructed free thinking and required obedience while offering only dogma in return.  The answer to why is not in religion, but rather in the practice of free thinkging in arts and sciences.  Sam’s Book is dead on.

Nash

Posted: 04 May 2005 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

It is rather narrow minded to equate the search for a why with a practice of religion.

I was just trying to understand how much of a possible “god” that dragon believes in. I agree with the rest of your post as well, thanks.

Posted: 05 May 2005 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“fencesitter”]

I was just trying to understand how much of a possible “god” that dragon believes in. I agree with the rest of your post as well, thanks.

Actually my answer was more to a hypothetical question, I think. I personally wouldnt have a belief in any possible god.

Posted: 06 May 2005 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

Well said, Nash. Good post.

3 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed