4 of 4
Sam Harris on the Michael Medvid show 9-21-06
Posted: 10 October 2006 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Mia, please stop complaining and just get with the program. Stop asking so many philosophical questions. This is rebellion. If you want truth, start reading the bible and pray for the Holy Spirit to open your spiritual eyes.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 11 October 2006 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-06-01
[quote author=“TheChampion”]Mia, please stop complaining and just get with the program. Stop asking so many philosophical questions. This is rebellion. If you want truth, start reading the bible and pray for the Holy Spirit to open your spiritual eyes.

To quote the Rational Response Squad: I deny the virgin raping, motherfucking holy spirit…. :wink:

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 12 October 2006 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Mia,
Please interact with my whole argument, not just cherry pick part of it.

Mai wrote:

“Does the Bible say we go to hell of our own accord?”

and Garrett replied:

Of our own accord? Mmmm. Yes and no.

Let me admit - the “how” is of God’s accord. He casts, sends, chucks, swings, launches, etc.

What about the “why?” Is that of peoples accord? Yes, because people have a choice - gain God’s forgiveness or not.

Now I volunteer at a local prison. I don’t ask the inmates what they’re in for but when they’ve told me, I’ve never heard, “Because the judge sent me here!” Now it is true the judge sent them there. But they know they are in prison because they made a choice - to break the law.

So please interact with the “why” people go to hell.

But first let me clarify just one of the many misunderstandings, from a Christian perspective, from your last post:

Mai wrote:

He [God] alone, the very maker of the soul…

While some Christians incorrectly hold to your view, many hold to the Traducian view, which says the soul is a natural creation through our parents, just like our bodies.  So God is not the maker of sinful souls. So please don’t reply that our sin is God’s fault.  I don’t know of any Christian that believes that.

Garrett
http://www.worldviewforums.com

Posted: 12 October 2006 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

[quote author=“Anonymous”]But first let me clarify just one of the many misunderstandings, from a Christian perspective…

While some Christians incorrectly hold to your view, many hold to the Traducian view, which says the soul is a natural creation through our parents, just like our bodies.  So God is not the maker of sinful souls. So please don’t reply that our sin is God’s fault.  I don’t know of any Christian that believes that.

Of course you don’t know of any Christian who believes that. Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. Though not necessarily in that order.

If I had a dime for every Christian that disagreed with another Christian about what is the correct belief, I would be lying on the beach in St. Kitts with a piƱa colada perched on my belly button. And you would be a distant memory.

As to the Traducian view, sure, go ahead and make it up as you go along. As if the Traducian view somehow confers some special sort of validity on another crock of obscurantist nonsense.

By the way, excuse me for butting in.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 12 October 2006 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“Guest Garrett”]
Mai:

While some Christians incorrectly hold to your view. . .

This just makes me giggle every time :D. Really, stop!, my ribs are aching.

Garrett, Salt Creek and the rest of us are exhaustively familiar with the endless, often hilarious (and just as often frightening) corrections you folks make to each other’s version of the fable. In other fiction, perhaps only the Cinderella story has come close to being reimagined as frequently as the Bible plot has.

I’m not sure which sub-sect out of the 34,000 unique sects of Christianity you have pledged allegiance to, but I think it’s safe to assume that if you cannot arrange the three simple letters in my name correctly (granted, given three chances, you did hit it once—bravo!), then it’s unlikely you can discern the “correctness” of anything more complicated.

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

4 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed