4 of 4
My reassesment of End of Faith
Posted: 16 October 2007 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-10-13

“I believe that a rational person can believe in God without the sort of faith that Harris talks about.”

He has in a recent debate. He said something like “thats not the god most people believe in”.

As far as i can make out, the most rational position that can be possibly taken on the subject is “god might exist”...a supreme being might exist…a creator might exist. How many times has someone said “i believe in a higher power”.

The thing is, this inert “higher power” isnt having any influence on people at all. This abstract creator or philosphical god doesnt hate homosexuals for example.

Even saying something like “i believe in a higher power that wants me to be happy” is a purely religious concept. Its a belief without proof. Its not inert.

Posted: 16 October 2007 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
MarcoTensi - 16 October 2007 09:50 AM

“I believe that a rational person can believe in God without the sort of faith that Harris talks about.”

He has in a recent debate. He said something like “thats not the god most people believe in”.

As far as i can make out, the most rational position that can be possibly taken on the subject is “god might exist”...a supreme being might exist…a creator might exist. How many times has someone said “i believe in a higher power”.

The thing is, this inert “higher power” isnt having any influence on people at all. This abstract creator or philosphical god doesnt hate homosexuals for example.

Even saying something like “i believe in a higher power that wants me to be happy” is a purely religious concept. Its a belief without proof. Its not inert.

Recall the comment of Socrates before downing the hemlock.  He was looking forward to questioning all these great figures of the past in the Elusianian fields.  He chose to believe this, not because he knew it was true but because it was a “noble myth”.

4 of 4

‹‹ Nationalism and shame      Misquoting Harris ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed