6 of 6
Moral obligations toward rocks
Posted: 14 September 2007 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-16

[quote author=“Jefe”][quote author=“g.wood”]

* With the exception of a few moon rocks and meteorite fragments.

Heresy!  Stone him!

I suspect that stuff came from the same place as everything else, so it’s really just a conservative qualifier. You wouldn’t stone a conservative, would you?

Signature 

Music by me: http://www.myspace.com/gwoodbonobos

Posted: 14 September 2007 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-16

[quote author=“unsmoked”]

“I believe a blade of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.”
- Walt Whitman

Ol’ Walt had it all goin’ on.

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2007 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

[quote author=“g.wood”]

I suspect that stuff came from the same place as everything else, so it’s really just a conservative qualifier. You wouldn’t stone a conservative, would you?

Let him without sin cast the first stone . . . so, hand me that stone, will you?

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 21 September 2007 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-16
unsmoked - 14 September 2007 07:30 PM

[quote author=“g.wood”]

Let him without sin cast the first stone . . . so, hand me that stone, will you?

“Everybody must get stoned.”

R. Zimmerman

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2007 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2006-12-16
unsmoked - 13 September 2007 11:38 AM

It is estimated from archeological evidence that humans arrived on the Western Hemisphere 15 or 20 thousand years ago.  Whatever Native American societies were like - noble or ignoble, we know that the land, ‘from sea to shining sea’, was a land of clean rivers, clean air, vast forests, plains teaming with game and rivers teaming with fish.

Have you read the book ‘1491’? Fascinating! I’m not able to evaluate the scholarship, but it changed my view of American prehistory, although not quite as much as ‘Guns, Germs and Steel’ which explains more.

I guess I’m sort of a Marxist in that I think our ‘values’ depend upon our material circumstances.
Do you think people freely choose their values?
I assume that if the Americas had remained isolated, people would still develop agriculture at the expense of all other species. Using fire to clear land is such a powerful technology, you can do a lot of damage even without steel. But of course the species we favor, such as buffalo or corn, don’t see it as ‘damage’.

Posted: 23 September 2007 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
Pat_Adducci - 22 September 2007 07:54 PM

I guess I’m sort of a Marxist in that I think our ‘values’ depend upon our material circumstances.

I assume that you were not born a Marxist, and I assume that your family was not Marxist, and I think you live in the US, which is not a Marxist nation.  Yet you are a Marxist.  Doesn’t that answer your question?  You chose your values and became a Marxist. Assuming that we have average intelligence and that we have thought about our lives and done a little introspection, we make our choices about what we consider to be important.  I don’t think our material circumstances are absolutely determinative, although, like everything else, they are factors.

Posted: 23 September 2007 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-16
Bruce Burleson - 23 September 2007 06:30 PM
Pat_Adducci - 22 September 2007 07:54 PM

...Yet you are a Marxist…You chose your values and became a Marxist…

He said I guess I’m sort of a Marxist in that... enough qualifiers to give anybody the hint that he doesn’t really consider himself a bona fide Marxist.

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2006-12-16

Thank you, g. wood, I’m much too simple-minded and cheerful to be a Marxist. (Gender = fem.)
Bruce, more about ‘choice’ over in the ‘where is God?’ discussion.
Carry on with the rocks….

Posted: 24 September 2007 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-16
Pat_Adducci - 23 September 2007 08:31 PM

Thank you, g. wood….

You’re welcome.

(Gender = fem.)

Whoops. Sorry.

Signature