3 of 3
standard of morality
Posted: 26 September 2007 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  653
Joined  2007-08-24
Carstonio - 26 September 2007 03:47 PM

I reject the idea of a deliberate conspiracy to discredit rational self-interest. Instead, I suspect most people simply don’t consciously connect the word “selfish” to its root. The word’s negative connotations may simply have arisen over time. Two hundred years from now, most people may not know that “pimp” originally meant a man who exploits prostitutes for financial gain.

I am not talking about any conspiracy, but a philosophical movement. In fact, not even a movement, but an idea, the idea of altruism. Philosophers and religious leaders from all sorts of traditions have promoted altruism as a moral ideal, and denounced self-interest as evil. See the post in which I quoted from Ayn Rand’s Introduction to The Virtue of Selfishness.

Signature 

“The three great rights are so bound together as to be essentially one right. To give a man his life, but deny him his liberty, is to take from him all that makes his life worth living. To give him his liberty, but take from him the property which is the fruit and badge of his liberty, is to still leave him a slave.”

- George Sutherland, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, 1921.

Posted: 12 October 2007 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-10-12

My experience tells me that the continued propagation of fears of either eternal rewards, or punishments is not a sound basis from which to derive a working moral code. I simply decided that I would strive to do what I believed was right for no other reason than that. It’s worked so far.

For me, experience has been the best teacher. Trial and error continues to teach me lessons that continue to provide me with purpose and direction.

3 of 3

‹‹ the book      Atheism and Raising Children ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed