2 of 4
What is the most important question of all time?
Posted: 24 July 2008 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20
Beam_Me_Up - 23 July 2008 05:37 PM

On another thread, Vic M said that the most important question of all time is, “where did the universe and all it contains come from?” I say he is wrong. The most important question imo: “Is there one move that’s more likely to win a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors?” Is their a more important question? Please share your wisdom.

At the moment I’m a refugee from Champ’s ‘Life is Meaningless Without Jesus’ topic, so that is influencing my question.

A Zen master said, “You are luckily alright by yourself.”  I take it that he meant this in the same sense as saying a rabbit is alright by itself. 

So my question is, why do Christians need Jesus to complete themselves?  Why are Christians born incomplete, while rabbits, fleas, and flowers are born complete?  It’s as though they are like babies born with one leg; born needing prostheses.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 24 July 2008 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
Salt Creek - 23 July 2008 09:05 PM

What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it’s all about?

You put your head in. You put your head out. You put your head in and you shake it all about.

unsmoked - 24 July 2008 02:46 PM

At the moment I’m a refugee from Champ’s ‘Life is Meaningless Without Jesus’ topic, so that is influencing my question.

Life is meaningless without Champion.

unsmoked - 24 July 2008 02:46 PM

So my question is, why do Christians need Jesus to complete themselves?  Why are Christians born incomplete, while rabbits, fleas, and flowers are born complete?  It’s as though they are like babies born with one leg; born needing prostheses.

They have bought the underlying assumption that everyone is a sinner and thus we are all unworthy of love and happiness (a.k.a. the glory of God.)

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 31 August 2008 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2006-01-22

I have no earthly idea what the most important question of all time is but I happen to know that the answer is 42.

Signature 

“Gentlemen, there is no fighting in the war room”

Posted: 31 August 2008 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
ch5563 - 31 August 2008 07:31 PM

I have no earthly idea what the most important question of all time is but I happen to know that the answer is 42.

Funny. Have you ever played the domino game “42”?  Most important game of all time.

Posted: 31 August 2008 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

All Real Men (and the women who love them) know the most important question is; boxers or briefs? And of course Real Men (and the women who love them) also know the correct answer.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 31 August 2008 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Who first domesticated Hops?

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 01 September 2008 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2006-01-22

Bruce- I have not had the pleasure of playing the game. Is it based in some way on Douglas Adams’ universal philosophy?

Skep-Actually, you omitted an important portion of the question, “Briefs, boxers or commando?”

Signature 

“Gentlemen, there is no fighting in the war room”

Posted: 01 September 2008 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

It’s rather obvious although this question gets asked all the time.

The most important question of all time is-drum roll please-

Where did the elements that caused the big bang come from or how did they come into existence, might be a better way to ask it.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 01 September 2008 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Most important question for humans:

Take the blue pill, or take the red pill?

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 01 September 2008 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
ch5563 - 01 September 2008 09:16 AM

Bruce- I have not had the pleasure of playing the game. Is it based in some way on Douglas Adams’ universal philosophy?

Don’t know, but it certainly does qualify as “Light Entertainment.”

Posted: 01 September 2008 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2007-05-22

The only real question in life (according to Allan Watts anyway), is whether to commit suicide, or not.

Signature 

Something’s Moving.

~Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 September 2008 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-22

But for now, I’m going with the Hokey-Pokey.

Signature 

Something’s Moving.

~Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 September 2008 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
JETurnbull - 01 September 2008 04:43 PM

The only real question in life (according to Allan Watts anyway), is whether to commit suicide, or not.

Would you like for me to answer that question for you, on your behalf, as your attorney?  Send me $5,000.00 and I will.

Posted: 01 September 2008 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-22
Bruce Burleson - 01 September 2008 05:12 PM

Would you like for me to answer that question for you, on your behalf, as your attorney?  Send me $5,000.00 and I will.

You will for my will?

Signature 

Something’s Moving.

~Albert Einstein

Posted: 01 September 2008 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

I thought that was from Camus.

The three most important questions of all time, in random order, are:

What is worth living for?
What is worth dying for?
And what is the antidote to Celine Dion?

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

2 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed