4 of 4
A facinating scary look into a cult…
Posted: 06 December 2008 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

Cindy,

Great post back, it reflects a reality and sincerity, not to ignore integrity, that is too often lacking in the posts I read here every day.  Maybe not every day; soon, I’m thinking of backing off and looking into other forums or activities; too much of these posts are to me rhetoric devoid of significance while blazing with passion and conviction.  My problem, obviously not their problem. 

We are IMO in good part a reflection of our personal histories, with some small part as well being what has resulted from our own reflections on that history, with whatever intelligence and education we have.  I suppose I’m tired of people posting as though they had some exclusive grasp of “truth” and “significance,” whatever they call themselves.

I have enjoyed and appreciated your posts, and hope you continue them for the benefit of less experienced others.  I also hope you remain relatively free of the “true believer” BS that is expressed sometimes by both “believers” and “Atheists” on this forum. 

Take care and best wishes.

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 06 December 2008 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2008-11-23
Dennis Campbell - 06 December 2008 09:12 PM

Cindy,

Great post back, it reflects a reality and sincerity, not to ignore integrity, that is too often lacking in the posts I read here every day.  Maybe not every day; soon, I’m thinking of backing off and looking into other forums or activities; too much of these posts are to me rhetoric devoid of significance while blazing with passion and conviction.  My problem, obviously not their problem. 

We are IMO in good part a reflection of our personal histories, with some small part as well being what has resulted from our own reflections on that history, with whatever intelligence and education we have.  I suppose I’m tired of people posting as though they had some exclusive grasp of “truth” and “significance,” whatever they call themselves.

I have enjoyed and appreciated your posts, and hope you continue them for the benefit of less experienced others.  I also hope you remain relatively free of the “true believer” BS that is expressed sometimes by both “believers” and “Atheists” on this forum. 

Take care and best wishes.

Dennis

I know what you mean even though I have been a novice forum poster. It is nice to exchange real ideas, growth and experiences with others as I think we all benefit. I have found though, that some forums are an excuse to show off and see if you can impress others with your vast wisdom and verbage.

A couple of years ago a went onto another atheist forum for a brief stint and never posted because frankly, all the posting were so steeped in great philosophical wisdom and rantings, I did not know half the time what the hell they were talking about.

I am an ordinary woman with an ordinary education who loves to learn and started a new journey a few years ago. The only thing I am sure of is that I sure of very little but willing to stay on the journey because I know I am on the right road…..for me.

Cindy

Posted: 16 December 2008 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Update on the OP of this thread.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_re_us/sect_leader_trial

Wayne Bent, 67, was found guilty of one count of criminal sexual contact of a minor and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He is the self-described Messiah and leader of The Lord Our Righteousness Church in New Mexico.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 16 December 2008 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

How odd that so many cults involve sexual access and control over money of the members; not to mention the power of the leadership to dominate the lives of that membership.  Hard to distinguish from a just plain greedy human dictatorship.  Humm,  do you suppose….?

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 16 December 2008 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

It sounds like a good cover for a pedophilic predator. Is he waiting to be crucified so he can resurrect himself?

Bent said the verdict was part of God’s plan. “These encounters with these two girls were intended to offend your world and make you mad and convict me,” he said.

His son, Jeff Bent, said church followers were not discouraged. “It’s just part of our prophetic time that we’re in,” he said.

[ Edited: 16 December 2008 10:33 AM by Beam]
 Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 16 December 2008 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Occupations like grammar school teachers, boy scout leaders; clergymen of various sorts, anything that has an air of authority and trust attached to the position with respect to kids and adolescents, makes it an attractive job for a pedophile.  The religion angle is just another cover more than a cause. 

Dennis

Signature 

Posted: 16 December 2008 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Dennis Campbell - 16 December 2008 03:19 PM

How odd that so many cults involve sexual access and control over money of the members; not to mention the power of the leadership to dominate the lives of that membership.  Hard to distinguish from a just plain greedy human dictatorship.  Humm,  do you suppose….?

Dennis

The big three karmic issues: money, sex, and power.

4 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed