3 of 5
Was The End of Faith the Beginning?
Posted: 27 December 2008 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

UB,

Welcome back, interesting post.  We have not as far as I know had these kinds of Islamic demonstrations here.

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 27 December 2008 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

I think it only obvious that the events of 9-11 caused a ‘spike’ if you will, among secular/atheist writings and the publicity/popularity of them.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 29 December 2008 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
Bruce Burleson - 25 December 2008 11:08 PM

I ask for female comment, and all I get are those who piss against the wall.

Probably because most of us, of the few who are here, know you are the kind of person who refers to us as “gals, babes, chickipoos”. 

As for “anyone with estrogen”?  You have estrogen.  In cyclically varying amounts, too.

More important, though, you begged the question.  You already have your mind made up, so why answer.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 02 January 2009 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10
Giova - 25 December 2008 01:30 AM

it makes me proud to know that an American began .......

Thank Buddha.
What good fortune that Mr. T sniffed this foul-smelling mental eructation before I did.
Otherwise I would have failed miserably, after not even 48 hours, in my new-year’s resolution to stop calling people dumb-ass fuckwits.

Lucky Giova, lucky me.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 02 January 2009 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
M is for Malapert - 29 December 2008 05:52 PM

Probably because most of us, of the few who are here, know you are the kind of person who refers to us as “gals, babes, chickipoos”. 

As for “anyone with estrogen”?  You have estrogen.  In cyclically varying amounts, too.

More important, though, you begged the question.  You already have your mind made up, so why answer.

Come on now, M.  Tune up your funny bone.

Posted: 03 January 2009 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2008-01-24
Bruce Burleson - 02 January 2009 09:47 PM

I did not think that was what I was doing in my response. You must hate women. At least those who don’t fit into your way of thinking.

Posted: 03 January 2009 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23
hmmm - 03 January 2009 10:48 PM

posted the following:

I did not think that was what I was doing in my response. You must hate women. At least those who don’t fit into your way of thinking.

hmmm, you seem to have a bit of a problem with attributions.  I’m not sure what happened, but this way it looks like I wrote what you did.

All you need to do is use the quote feature at the bottom of the post you are responding to, and type your answer below that.  Everything is done automatically to attribute the statement to the correct person. 

You can get fancy, but if all you want to do is put an answer at the bottom, the quote feature is enough to do that.

[ Edited: 03 January 2009 06:36 PM by M is for Malapert]
 Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

Posted: 03 January 2009 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

Come on now, M.  Tune up your funny bone.

As I said, Bruce, the most important point was that there was no need for response.  You had already made up your mind.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2009 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Unbeliever - 26 December 2008 11:45 PM

However, just over the past year I have started to see a shift in the zeitgeist. Interestingly enough Islam in particular is taking some very heavy punches at the moment, and most of the damage done to it is due to some incredible strategical failures.

A very interesting story unbeliever, it supports my belief that complete freedom of expression is one of the best ways to deal with these sorts of stupidities.  Fanatics just love to display their opinions to the public and in doing so expose just how out of it they really are.  Of course, in Sweden you have a pretty homogeneous and well educated population so most people can identify the idiocy rather than fall for it…

Posted: 04 January 2009 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

I must have missed your response. And “those who piss against the wall” is a biblical euphemism for “males.”  Sorry if that was too cryptic.

I love women. That’s why I want their comment. But, as you can probably guess, I’ve never had much luck in getting it.

Posted: 04 January 2009 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-01-24
Bruce Burleson - 04 January 2009 01:13 PM

I must have missed your response. And “those who piss against the wall” is a biblical euphemism for “males.”  Sorry if that was too cryptic.

I love women. That’s why I want their comment. But, as you can probably guess, I’ve never had much luck in getting it.

Forums such as these, well written word vs. spoken, are sometimes hard to interpret.  Perhaps women are silent to you because they misinterpret your writings.  Your writings can be harsh, as I have read in the past, some were a little shocking, however, there is more good than not. 

I tend to remain silent because people misinterpret most of my posts as hostile or completely opposite in the way I intended them to come out.  I don’t have what it takes to defend my thoughts outwardly all the time, but I gather information to form my own personal perspective.  Others tend to set their opinions on personality types and character based on what they perceived as the tone in the written threads.  However, some people use writing as a way of releasing ideas and thoughts, not necessarily revealing their true personality, just expressing possibilities.  There are people who believe that once a person states a view or opinion that it is set in cement and that defines their personality or character for life.  It is my opinion that writing is a way of sorting out thoughts and building on other people’s feedback that you cannot always do in a face-to-face conversation.  At least that is what I do most of the time.  I have changed my attitude and thoughts about many subjects on this site; and you contributed to some of those changes.  Your thoughts are intriguing and cause me to question many of my views, and my personality and character has reflected those changes.  However, if we met in person you would probably intimidate me so that I would lose the ability to express my thoughts in a meaningful way and you would think I am shallow or an idiot.  Some people are quick with their thoughts and can rebuttal efficiently.  You are a lawyer; I am sure you are quick on your toes and are able to argue every point precisely and with complete organization.  Your career gives you the skill to do such things.  However, I am nobody from a little town in the states that has to ponder and meditate on everything little concept to wrap my mind around it.  Therefore, I choose to write in forums and chat boards, I have time to think out and organize my thoughts.  In some degree, am sure there are other women that work the same way.  A man’s thinking vs. woman’s thinking come with total opposite perspectives, yet many times reach the same results.  Perhaps, that is why you do not get as many females to respond.

Posted: 04 January 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20

hmmm

I tend to remain silent because people misinterpret most of my posts as hostile or completely opposite in the way I intended them to come out.  I don’t have what it takes to defend my thoughts outwardly all the time, but I gather information to form my own personal perspective.  Others tend to set their opinions on personality types and character based on what they perceived as the tone in the written threads.  However, some people use writing as a way of releasing ideas and thoughts, not necessarily revealing their true personality, just expressing possibilities.  There are people who believe that once a person states a view or opinion that it is set in cement and that defines their personality or character for life.  It is my opinion that writing is a way of sorting out thoughts and building on other people’s feedback that you cannot always do in a face-to-face conversation.  At least that is what I do most of the time.  I have changed my attitude and thoughts about many subjects on this site; and you contributed to some of those changes.  Your thoughts are intriguing and cause me to question many of my views, and my personality and character has reflected those changes.  However, if we met in person you would probably intimidate me so that I would lose the ability to express my thoughts in a meaningful way and you would think I am shallow or an idiot.  Some people are quick with their thoughts and can rebuttal efficiently.  You are a lawyer; I am sure you are quick on your toes and are able to argue every point precisely and with complete organization.  Your career gives you the skill to do such things.  However, I am nobody from a little town in the states that has to ponder and meditate on everything little concept to wrap my mind around it.  Therefore, I choose to write in forums and chat boards, I have time to think out and organize my thoughts.  In some degree, am sure there are other women that work the same way.  A man’s thinking vs. woman’s thinking come with total opposite perspectives, yet many times reach the same results.  Perhaps, that is why you do not get as many females to respond.

Hmmm, this is the most brilliant and honest writing I have ever read on this forum.  I thought to send you a PM and tell you that but I decided to say it to the wider audience.  Thank you for stating it so well.  I can identify with much of what you have stated and have felt much the same way on many occasions. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 04 January 2009 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20
Giova - 25 December 2008 01:30 AM

I like to think that Sam Harris’s The End of Faith book in 2004 was really the start of this 21st century Atheist Revolution, call it what you may. Next came Dawkin’s God Delusion and Hitchens’s God Is Not Great. So did Harris’s book start it all? Can you remember any atheist books published before it that could be said to have started it? I can’t, and it makes me proud to know that an American began the revolution considering the surplus of media attention over Dawkins’s publication.

This does bring up one interesting question, though. In all these publications 9/11 is mentioned as a kind of crucial point in these authors’ minds. Would any of these books have been likely to have come out were it not for 9/11?

Sam actually never uses the word “atheists” in his first book and I don’t see it as a book about atheism per se, but a book about the dangers of religion.  A great book either way.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 04 January 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-01-24
lindajean - 04 January 2009 08:26 PM

Hmmm, this is the most brilliant and honest writing I have ever read on this forum.

WOW, I think that is the nicest thing someone has ever said about my writing! Thanks for the kind words. You weren’t being sarcastic, were you? LOL Nice to know I am not alone in my thought processes.

Posted: 04 January 2009 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

Hmmm

BTW, agree with Lindajean’s post.  She has not come across as someone with an “ax” to grind.  I’d take her compliments as sincere and not some manipulation.  Thsi can be a nasty forum sometimes, with “tetesterone” often exceeding one person admitting they appreciate another’s ideas, even if they diagree in some respects.

Welcome to this sandbox.

Dennis

[ Edited: 04 January 2009 04:56 PM by Dennis Campbell]
 Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

3 of 5

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed