“Ancient Wisdom”
Posted: 04 October 2009 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20
burt - 21 January 2009 03:06 PM
McCreason - 21 January 2009 12:30 PM

burt

Did you see that recent show on natgeo about the French Architect who has figured out how the pyramids could have indeed, and probably were, built? Very enlightening. Catch it if you have not. I saw it a few months ago.

As a matter of fact, found a link. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/070402-great-pyramid.html

Yes, it was very interesting.  I’ve always been offended by people who claim that ancient monuments required some sort of supernatural assistance or, like von Danaken, that they were built with help from space aliens.  Stuff like that seems to me to disrespect ordinary human ingenuity and commitment.

Are we moderns taking cues from the ingenuity and commitment of the Easter Islanders?

Check out Jared Diamond’s COLLAPSE - How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.  Think of the ingenuity of those people, using the last of their trees to roll those big stone heads across their island!  Then look at the grandeur of our cities, freeways, war machines, exploding populations, destruction of the rain forests, and ever-increasing burning of coal and oil.  All without supernatural assistance.

(edit)

Wait!  If we did have supernatural assistance, we wouldn’t have to take the blame for our collapse!  Have I just figured out the fundamentalists?  Collapse of this sinful planet is part of God’s plan!  We prayed for a new gas guzzling SUV and God gave it to us!  We prayed for a big house . . . voila!  Thank you Jesus!  We prayed for the wetlands to be drained and a good job for Daddy in the new subdivision . . . God, you heard us!  OK, the mining company blasted our mountains and ruined our water, but God wanted jobs and prospertiy for his children!  Thank you God! Billy, take out the trash.  If there’s no room in the cans just stack it beside them.  Hallelujah!  We’re ready for the Promised Land!

[ Edited: 04 October 2009 12:26 PM by unsmoked]
 Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 21 October 2009 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-12-17

Actually there is such a thing as Ancient Wisdom.

I.e., several of the famous ancient Greeks were materialists and precursors to modern scientists, e.g., Democratius, Lucretious, and Thales of Miletus.

[ Edited: 23 October 2009 07:59 PM by JGL57]

2 of 2

‹‹ The Secret : should we believe it ?      2012 ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed