Do christians believe that other people were resurrected along with Jesus?
Posted: 16 January 2010 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2008-02-10

At the end of Matthew, or is it Mark, he says that many other holy people came back to life.  So not only Jesus came back to life, lots of other dead people came back to life as well.

Do christians really believe that?

Posted: 17 January 2010 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

As with many biblical episodes, some buy into it and some don’t. I don’t think one can generalize.

It is one of the many episodes that cast serious doubt upon the historical authenticity of the gospels, though. Lack of corroboration. One would think those meticulous record-keeping Romans would have made at least a small note somewhere if large numbers of Jewish zombies showed up to party. wink

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 10 March 2010 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1183
Joined  2007-08-07

There was also Lazarus and the little girl raised from the dead.

Christopher Hitchens points out these are prominent characters in the story that were of so little interest that no one ever bothered to sit them down and talk with them what it was like to be dead and to come back.

Now that’s apathy.

Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

Posted: 27 September 2011 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20
jenkinsdee - 25 September 2011 07:15 PM

Do all religions have stories of people being resurrected?  I only knew about Jesus being resurrected, but it doesn’t surprise me to hear about others.  This is the first time that this topic has been addressed on any religious forum I’ve used.  Do all the stories of resurrection in the Bible occur in the same manor as Jesus Christ?

Try this question on Sam Harris’s other forum - Project Reason.  I think you can use the same name (jenkinsdee) and same password.

http://www.project-reason.org/    (then click on FORUM)

[ Edited: 27 September 2011 10:05 AM by unsmoked]
 Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 01 November 2011 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-11-01
Airy Spirit - 17 January 2010 04:02 AM

Do christians really believe that?

I don’t remember hearing many sermons on the topic.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed