Readings from the Qu’ran - Post your favorite verses with explanation
Posted: 06 April 2011 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-04

It’s interesting to note that throughout much of the history of the Abrahamic religions most of their adherents most probably did not read much of their “Holy Book” but rather had it read to them. The scrolls or manuscripts were by necessity few and held in the hands of the “clergy” be it rabbi or minister. Due to the lack of materials and cheap printing the texts were just not available Even when copied they were rare (not to mention the issue of mistakes). Then you have the issue of literacy and how many people could actually read. Practically speaking they were not so much “People of the Book” but rather of the Lectionary.

Even in traditions like Judaism where large portions of the text were read out loud at different times of the year the “people” didn’t have regular access to the text. That has changed, or at least the availability of the text has changed with the advent of printing and movable type and now with digital typesetting (even then you have mistakes). However, in spite of the modern availability of the text I expect most of us would be shocked at how few people have actual read their Holy Book in it’s entirety and do so regularly. Modern Evangelical Christians MAY be an exception or at least have a higher percentage. Few though have ever read any of the original language I have heard of the supposed prevalence in Muslim circles of memorizing the whole Qu’ran but I don’t know how true or prevalent that is.

So, that gets me to the question of how many Muslims have read the entire Qu’ran and do so regularly? I expect the numbers are low.

So this thread is about reading the Qu’ran. Waht does it really say and where. If you’ve read it, point out a verse and explain what it say about the religion of Muhammad one way or the other. I expect, just like he Bible, many people would be shocked at what is here.

[ Edited: 06 April 2011 03:21 PM by Daoist]

Posted: 15 April 2011 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-04-15

It is true that there are people that learn the Quran by heart. These people are known as Hafiz. I went to an event once where a 6 year old boy basically told people what Sura (Chapter) they were referring to when they recited passage from the Sura in question. I was 12 when I went to a talk which is why I was probably so mesmerized by it but I seem to remember the boys dad being close by to help him remember things. So I cant say what the dad was actually saying to the boy when he was struggling to remember.

In any case that issue aside, I think your completely right in saying lots of people having seriously understood or read the Quran in its full form. By this, we mean, they may have completed it in Arabic to fulfil the sentimental obligation put on a Muslim to complete the Quran but the people who can read it fluently, do not necessarily speak Arabic or even understand what they’re reading.

Unfortunately, I feel that even if people followed your way of thinking and read the Quran and tried to understand how hostile certain passages are, they would be so conditioned by their belief that they would find some way to justify it. At the outset it has been decided to be a flawless book, so any criticism has a mitigation, its just a case of interpreting it in a way that is sound to the human ear. 

I was brought up a muslim and have devout Muslim parents and I know for a fact that there is no school of free thought. Any free thinking is within the context of Islam and it is because the religion is people’s sole submission in life, they are under an obligation to preserve it and abstain from doubting its authenticity. Its a sad and unfortunate reality. That’s not to say moderate muslims are bad, they hold many values that I think everyone should adhere to. The problem is that there ARE people that adhere to these values, its just they don’t do it in the hope of being closer to a celestial being.

Posted: 13 August 2011 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-08-13
Kashifs - 15 April 2011 09:18 AM

I
I was brought up a muslim and have devout Muslim parents and I know for a fact that there is no school of free thought. Any free thinking is within the context of Islam and it is because the religion is people’s sole submission in life, they are under an obligation to preserve it and abstain from doubting its authenticity. Its a sad and unfortunate reality. That’s not to say moderate muslims are bad, they hold many values that I think everyone should adhere to. The problem is that there ARE people that adhere to these values, its just they don’t do it in the hope of being closer to a celestial being.

really?
then it is not Islam. Your parents must be some kind of avid cult followers.

Islam advocates free thought :

evident :
“And if ye are in doubt concerning that which We reveal unto Our slave ( Muhammad ) , then produce a sura or the like thereof , and call your witnesses beside Allah if ye are truthful .” (2:23).

I feel sad for your cult following parents.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed