Atheists and Foxholes
Posted: 18 August 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12

“There are no atheists in foxholes” should be an argument against faith.

Posted: 20 August 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2012-08-11

It’s certainly an argument in favor of stupidity.

It says far more about the speaker’s superficial position on god then on atheists.  Or fox holes.

Signature 

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people
~ M. Teresa, Fruitcake of Calcutta

Posted: 20 August 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-08-13
toombaru - 18 August 2012 07:54 AM

To me it means you’re so scared you can’t think straight about anything.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. Thomas Paine 1737 - 1809

Posted: 27 August 2012 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2012-01-09

Pacifism will get you killed.  To that end, foxholes are necessary.

And they will be manned by atheists and theists alike, since it follows that atheist pacifism will get you killed just as much as theist pacifism.

Posted: 23 September 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-09-22
toombaru - 18 August 2012 07:54 AM

Obviously that you’ve defined the word atheist wrong.Anyway,if you’re against Atheist,then I might as well tell you that religious people have sinned and committed mistakes more intolerable than atheist have not done.

Posted: 24 September 2012 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2012-09-20

There are (hardly) any atheists in prison.

That should be what true moral people are noticing.

Signature 

“Does history record any case in which the majority was right?”
Robert A. Heinlein

Posted: 25 September 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-25
Ice Monkey - 20 August 2012 05:27 PM

It says far more about the speaker’s superficial position on god then on atheists.  Or fox holes.

I wouldn’t necessarily equate a belief in ‘god’ with stupidity. Perhaps irrationality due to indoctrination from birth, coupled with a seemingly inherent human desire to believe in some greater power that supervises our existence.

Posted: 25 September 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-11
Astral Weeks - 25 September 2012 06:31 PM

I wouldn’t necessarily equate a belief in ‘god’ with stupidity. Perhaps irrationality due to indoctrination from birth, coupled with a seemingly inherent human desire to believe in some greater power that supervises our existence.

I wasn’t.  I was, however, equating using the quoted statement (refer to the opening post) as an argument with stupidity.  This wasn’t a thread on the belief in a god, but a disbelief in one.

But for the record, I do think a certain level of stupidity contributes to the ongoing worship of imaginary characters.  It’s not the ignorant type of stupidity I ridicule people for.  It’s the self-inflicted stupidity of being presented with overwhelming evidence against your inherited position, and still clinging to it under the guise of faith, and proudly so.  It’s that sort of stupid person I go out of my way to lean on, especially in front of large groups of people.

Signature 

~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

Posted: 25 September 2012 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-11
Ice Monkey - 25 September 2012 11:16 PM
Astral Weeks - 25 September 2012 06:31 PM

I wasn’t.  I was, however, equating using the quoted statement (refer to the opening post) as an argument with stupidity.  This wasn’t a thread on the belief in a god, but a disbelief in one.

But for the record, I do think a certain level of stupidity contributes to the ongoing worship of imaginary characters.  It’s not the ignorant type of stupidity I ridicule people for.  It’s the self-inflicted stupidity of being presented with overwhelming evidence against your inherited position, and still clinging to it under the guise of faith, and proudly so.  It’s that sort of stupid person I go out of my way to lean on, especially in front of large groups of people.  I quite enjoy it.

Signature 

~ Hitch

~ S.A. Ladoucier

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2012-09-22

I spent a year in Nam .... I’m Agnostic.

Posted: 01 December 2012 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-05-12

The claim “there are no atheists in foxholes” is and always has been a lie.

The First World War gave rise to French Existentialism and caused people to turn away from religion in record numbers. In fact, according to all the available data, war causes people, not only to leave religion, but to become sceptical.

My great-great-grandmother turned her back on religion because her baby died and the priest told her that, because the child hadn’t been baptised, its soul would be burnt and tormented for all eternity. She said, and I quote, “If your god is such a bastard that he’d torment something as sweet and innocent as a child for all eternity, then he’s no god of mine!”

That was in 1878.

That kind of sentiment would become very prevalent during and after the “Great War”. Why would god allow injustice? Why would god allow the killing of innocents? And so on.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed