Newcomer to this forum…an introduction.
Posted: 23 September 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-09-23

I’m Rob, hi! I agree with Sam Harris that free will is an illusion and I will also go so far as to say that belief in free will is mostly responsible for all humanities issues. The moment we tell a child they are ‘good’ or ‘bad’ for the way they behave we begin the deception that causes psychological damage. Nature knows nothing of good and bad. A child has no ‘choice’ how they behave, they are the product of dna and environmental/social conditioning up to the moment of action. Whatever the state of the particles in the child’s brain at that moment will determine the ‘choice’ he makes. As soon as we introduce the concept of good and bad (free will) the child learns that he should ‘blame’ himself and others. He becomes judgmental and spends the rest of his life consumed by a need to condemn those that behave ‘worse’ than him and to feel inferior to those who behave ‘better’ than him.
-
Religion is a primitive attempt at communicating spirituality to human beings. It largely failed because most religions teach that god gave us free will. There are some religions that don’t believe in free will and believe that all action is the will of god. Substitute the word god with ‘the unfolding of nature’ and, voila, you have a link between science and religion. Jesus was an enlightened man who knew instinctively that free will is an illusion. When he allegedly died on the cross he is said to have uttered, ‘forgive them for they know not what they do’. Profound words. This is my view of religious people and atheists who believe in free will. They know not what they do, so don’t judge them…
-
...but, of course we judge them! Judging people is understandable given our social conditioning. I still judge others and criticize but I would say that I recognize that it is just my ego that does that. If I focus on the present moment all that baggage falls away and my ego dissolves and leaves me in peace. That is the purpose of meditation. I don’t sit cross legged going, ‘mmmmm’ lol, but when I walk down the street I focus on observing without labeling and when I am stressed I tune into my breathing or listen carefully to the tiniest little sound in the distance and my troublesome thoughts dissolve away leaving me in peace. Laugh at yourself and especially your opinions. Watch the crazy thoughts manifest in your mind and then smile at them as you realize that YOU ARE NOT YOUR THOUGHTS.
-
The media has no interest in promoting the truth that free will is an illusion. It would be self-defeating if everybody woke up and realized they did not need any of the junk they try to sell you. The news just feeds negative ideas into ego’s that are addicted to negativity. Adverts appeal to the idea that happiness lies in the all the things I don’t quite have yet..but I’m nearly there…if I just had the latest model…Drama programs are the same old ego driven stories that teach negativity and free will. Even documentaries are mostly negative. I like football. Football matches are unscripted patterns emerging before my eyes…moments of beauty and madness…but tribalism is another function of the ego…so I just watch it unfold on the tv.
-
So enough about me. Be at peace my friends smile

Any thoughts on any of this very welcome!
-
Rob Thorpe

Posted: 23 September 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12
robbiet - 23 September 2012 12:27 PM

I’m Rob, hi! I agree with Sam Harris that free will is an illusion and I will also go so far as to say that belief in free will is mostly responsible for all humanities issues. The moment we tell a child they are ‘good’ or ‘bad’ for the way they behave we begin the deception that causes psychological damage. Nature knows nothing of good and bad. A child has no ‘choice’ how they behave, they are the product of dna and environmental/social conditioning up to the moment of action. Whatever the state of the particles in the child’s brain at that moment will determine the ‘choice’ he makes. As soon as we introduce the concept of good and bad (free will) the child learns that he should ‘blame’ himself and others. He becomes judgmental and spends the rest of his life consumed by a need to condemn those that behave ‘worse’ than him and to feel inferior to those who behave ‘better’ than him.
-
Religion is a primitive attempt at communicating spirituality to human beings. It largely failed because most religions teach that god gave us free will. There are some religions that don’t believe in free will and believe that all action is the will of god. Substitute the word god with ‘the unfolding of nature’ and, voila, you have a link between science and religion. Jesus was an enlightened man who knew instinctively that free will is an illusion. When he allegedly died on the cross he is said to have uttered, ‘forgive them for they know not what they do’. Profound words. This is my view of religious people and atheists who believe in free will. They know not what they do, so don’t judge them…
-
...but, of course we judge them! Judging people is understandable given our social conditioning. I still judge others and criticize but I would say that I recognize that it is just my ego that does that. If I focus on the present moment all that baggage falls away and my ego dissolves and leaves me in peace. That is the purpose of meditation. I don’t sit cross legged going, ‘mmmmm’ lol, but when I walk down the street I focus on observing without labeling and when I am stressed I tune into my breathing or listen carefully to the tiniest little sound in the distance and my troublesome thoughts dissolve away leaving me in peace. Laugh at yourself and especially your opinions. Watch the crazy thoughts manifest in your mind and then smile at them as you realize that YOU ARE NOT YOUR THOUGHTS.
-
The media has no interest in promoting the truth that free will is an illusion. It would be self-defeating if everybody woke up and realized they did not need any of the junk they try to sell you. The news just feeds negative ideas into ego’s that are addicted to negativity. Adverts appeal to the idea that happiness lies in the all the things I don’t quite have yet..but I’m nearly there…if I just had the latest model…Drama programs are the same old ego driven stories that teach negativity and free will. Even documentaries are mostly negative. I like football. Football matches are unscripted patterns emerging before my eyes…moments of beauty and madness…but tribalism is another function of the ego…so I just watch it unfold on the tv.
-
So enough about me. Be at peace my friends smile

Any thoughts on any of this very welcome!
-
Rob Thorpe

Ahhhh…..but we are nothing other than our thoughts.
We are creatures composed of thought.
Oh, we have physical bodies but the persona exists only as swirling memories.
And your are right, we do not have free will.
We are leaves on the river floating down the great unknown-unknowable.
Awareness can be thrilling once the illusion of free will and an entity who has it falls away.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed
newrelic.loglevel = "verbosedebug" newrelic.daemon.loglevel = "verbosedebug"