Bulk price?
Posted: 20 September 2006 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2006-07-15

We need the paperback version or a bulk price.  At $10 a pop this is too expensive to mail around to everyone.  When the price comes down to $3 or $4 I'll buy a case and mail them to my favorite Christians.  We could also have a "buy a public figure a book" program.  I'd chip in an extra $16 to buy my mayor and congress reps a copy.

Oh, I forgot to say: the book is great!  Simple, straight-forward arguments that hit all the major flaws and objections.

Posted: 21 September 2006 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I want to second this.  The Letter should be distributed far and wide. Sam, you need to get with Knopf to facilitate this.

Posted: 21 September 2006 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I’ll probably wind up buying 10 copies in any event, but it would be much easier for me if I could buy 20 for the same price and send them around.

Posted: 21 September 2006 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I really like the idea of sending copies to public figures, so much so that I was thinking it myself! It’s short enough that they just might actually read it.

A paperback version would be ideal especially combined with a bulk rate. I can think of quite a few people I’d like to give copies to.

Posted: 21 September 2006 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

You know, many were the day walking downtown, I would be given a lil religious tract…maybe by Jack Chick (you have to love those) or by someone else, whatever.  I’d love to have in my bag ten or so paperback copies of LTCN to trade whenever anyone gives me a pamphlet.
Most likely, they’ll read the first page and throw it out, but the one who stays past the first page….......well, one can only hope.

I kinda feel like a jehova’s witness…I wanna buy a bunch and just leave them around, like the Watchtower.  Except Sam knows a little more of which he speaks.

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

Posted: 24 September 2006 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2006-08-12

[quote author=“switch”]You know, many were the day walking downtown, I would be given a lil religious tract…maybe by Jack Chick (you have to love those) or by someone else, whatever.  I’d love to have in my bag ten or so paperback copies of LTCN to trade whenever anyone gives me a pamphlet.
Most likely, they’ll read the first page and throw it out, but the one who stays past the first page….......well, one can only hope.

I kinda feel like a jehova’s witness…I wanna buy a bunch and just leave them around, like the Watchtower.  Except Sam knows a little more of which he speaks.

Umm… I actually DO walk around with slips of paper in my pocket that say the following:

Science vs. Religion:  A Lecture By Sam Harris

Go to http://www.samharris.org, and choose the “Radio” option under the “Interviews” menu.  Then choose the mp3 link at “The View From The End Of The World”.

I make them business-card size, printing six at once on a piece of paper, copying the paper, and them cutting it into card size pieces.

I don’t hand them out randomly to people on the street (unless they hand me something first—that’s a blast), but if I hear someone at a cafe sounding “liberal” or see someone reading the right kind of book, I’m not shy about offering it to them.

I do not—yet—have the guts to stand in front of a church on Sunday morning and hand them out to a congregation as it exits the church. 

That audio lecture is a powerful distillation of TEOF (with hints of what was to follow in the second book), and is a lot easier for many people than actual reading.

I also put the link to the mp3 in my email signature so everyone I know gets a chance to hear it.

Posted: 24 September 2006 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

Hey dthuleen, Good for you!

You are right though, you can’t convert the Hardcore xians.

I look at it kinda like the Matrix.  ( I know, It’s silly)....

There is a point were you can’t save someone..if they eat the red pill they will be destroyed psycologically.  You have to get ‘em whilst they are young.  There are a few who will open up….but they are very few.

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed