Has anyone actually spoken with Sam Harris or corresponded..
Posted: 23 September 2006 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-06-01

with him? I wrote him a few e-mails and never got a reply? Has anyone been successful with either writing him or another medium?

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 24 September 2006 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

When I finished EOF in December of 2004, I wrote Sam a congratulatory email.  He responded with thanks and directed me to this forum, if I was interested in discussing the ideas promulgated in the book.  I have not tried to communicate since.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 24 September 2006 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-02-06

I met and talked with Sam a bit after his presentation at The Council for Secular Humanism in Buffalo, NY. last year. He answered a short follow-up e-mail. At the time he said he tries to look at his e-mails, but can’t really spend the time following these forums.

Rod

Posted: 25 September 2006 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-01

[quote author=“Rod”]I met and talked with Sam a bit after his presentation at The Council for Secular Humanism in Buffalo, NY. last year. He answered a short follow-up e-mail. At the time he said he tries to look at his e-mails, but can’t really spend the time following these forums.

Rod

Wow that guy is my hero…I hope I can meet and actually exchange words with him some day….

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 25 September 2006 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“hampsteadpete”]When I finished EOF in December of 2004, I wrote Sam a congratulatory email.  He responded with thanks and directed me to this forum, if I was interested in discussing the ideas promulgated in the book.  I have not tried to communicate since.

Ditto here—though I had a brief (2 or 3?) email exchange with him.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 25 September 2006 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I don’t know their names, but I believe the “journalists” who visited Ahmed Shah Masoud (The leader of the northern alliance in Afghanistan, mortal enemy of Osama Bin Laden, assassinated by suicide bombers posing as journalists) said shortly before visiting him to “interview” him.  smile

Sam may be reticent to communicate with everyone who asks for an audience, given his message.  I wish it weren’t so.

Rob.

Posted: 25 September 2006 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“Rod”]

Wow that guy is my hero…I hope I can meet and actually exchange words with him some day….

:oops:

That’s what I referred to, the “journalists” saying.  grin

R.

Posted: 25 September 2006 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

I wrote Sam an email in December 2004 when I finished TEOF and expressed my deep appreciation for his wonderful work. I asked him a few questions about his future work and I also admonished him for that piece in the book advocating the use of torture in certain situations, and also wondered why he was so hard on Noam Chomsky?

Sam replied with information on the research he was presently involved with in the neuroscience area, stating that his ultimate hope was to develop a secular system of ethics based on the research he was presently doing. He urged me to join the forum for further discussion of points in the text including the Chomsky issue.

I wrote back to inform him that I too was trying to work out an ethical framework that accompanied the onset of human-type language - an ethical system that evolved naturally and was innate to the human experience.  Also told Sam that if I finished my work before he finished his, I’d let him know.

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 27 September 2006 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-01

and I sent him a few mails…I guess he is really busy…more’s the pity it would have been great to have received a mail from him…

Signature 

-Vincent

Posted: 27 September 2006 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“stardusk”]and I sent him a few mails…I guess he is really busy…more’s the pity it would have been great to have received a mail from him…

Keep in mind he’s probably a tad more busy now than he was back in late ‘04.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 09 October 2006 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2005-08-22

Yeah, all this and a PhD, in a large and interesting area no less. I’m not gonna bother the guy. Hell, when I’m busy I may not even read my email for days.

I suspect he may lurk here, or even post as an alias occasionally. If he posted as himself, the topic would get buried in the fan/hate mail.

Posted: 09 October 2006 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22
[quote author=“stardusk”]and I sent him a few mails…I guess he is really busy…more’s the pity it would have been great to have received a mail from him…

He snubbed you because he’s better than you—just like everybody else.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed