1 of 2
A "Letter" for every hotel room.
Posted: 14 May 2007 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-05-14

Somebody may have already suggested this, but I propose a movement that will require mass cooperation.

I propose that every Sam Harris reader start placing copies of Letter to a Christian Nation along side the Bibles in hotel and motel rooms wherever they lodge.

I've already started by rubber-banding copies of Letter to a Christian Nation to Bibles in the last two hotel rooms in which I've stayed.

Please do the same.

Posted: 14 May 2007 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  734
Joined  2007-03-10

I think it would be a great idea, except I don’t have the money to buy a bunch of copies at retail prices to give away.

Maybe if you put some type of proposal together Mr. Harris might agree to help you with this.

Great idea though, and I hadn’t heard of it before.

Posted: 14 May 2007 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26
[quote author=“Hrudey”]I propose that every Sam Harris reader start placing copies of Letter to a Christian Nation along side the Bibles in hotel and motel rooms wherever they lodge.

Two dumb questions:

1. Where do the Gideons get the money to print and place all those Bibles?

2. We often criticize evangelical theists for trying to tell people what to believe. Sometimes they respond with, “Harris and Dawkins and Hitchens are trying to tell people what to believe.” How do we refute that?

Posted: 14 May 2007 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  734
Joined  2007-03-10

It wasn’t our war, and we didn’t start it, but we have an obligation to finish it.  We are only seeking to provide a counter opinion.  Or at least that would be my response.

I do have my doubts about using books by Mr Harris or any other author whose modus operandi is to seek and destroy rather than present a positive message.  You get more flies with honey than vinegar.  I kind of agree that we could be construed as sending the wrong message. 

Personally, I would be just as happy to place a chicken soup for the soul in every room, rather than Harris’s book.  Or any other insiprational type secular writing.  We need to show an alternative to relying on an imaginary friend, but we don’t necessarily need or want to attack anyone.

I’m pretty sure the Gideons place their Bibles through donation.

[ Edited: 23 May 2007 06:28 AM by ]

Posted: 20 May 2007 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-01-12

Wow, I really hope this movement catches on.  I think using Sam Harris as a nemesis to the Bible would do wonders for your cause!!  What an absolutely absurdly idiotic idea.

Posted: 21 May 2007 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04
[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]Wow, I really hope this movement catches on.  I think using Sam Harris as a nemesis to the Bible would do wonders for your cause!!  What an absolutely absurdly idiotic idea.

Look who’s back.  Did you read the reasonable discourse about this idea before your verbal attack?

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-01-12

If you consider that discourse reasonable, I really hope you help your fellow intellectually transcendent mate carry on the cause of putting Sam Harris books rubber-banded to Bibles in hotel rooms.  Put your intellect where your mouth is and go do it pal!!!  You say its reasonable, make it happen, and then I would like a report on how much “good” you have done in ridding the world of faith.  Sam Harris sure did huh?  I mean I think that book was so convincing, that we no longer have anyone on earth that could possibly believe in a God.  So, in the light of that discourse being so reasonable, come down from your cloud of intellectual ascent and get going!!

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04
[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]If you consider that discourse reasonable, I really hope you help your fellow intellectually transcendent mate carry on the cause of putting Sam Harris books rubber-banded to Bibles in hotel rooms.  Put your intellect where your mouth is and go do it pal!!!  You say its reasonable, make it happen, and then I would like a report on how much “good” you have done in ridding the world of faith.  Sam Harris sure did huh?  I mean I think that book was so convincing, that we no longer have anyone on earth that could possibly believe in a God.  So, in the light of that discourse being so reasonable, come down from your cloud of intellectual ascent and get going!!

How silly. I expressed no opinion about the actual idea of putting Sam’s book into hotel rooms. However, the discussion on the topic is reflective of working minds pondering the outcome of such an action, both positive and negative. 

Your posts, however, are overblown reactions. 

Also, I don’t consider myself an intellectual. Nonetheless, I see intellectualism as an asset, and find it telling how believers use the word as a curse.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

nbtboj, you say (in jest)

“Sam Harris sure did huh? I mean I think that book was so convincing, that we no longer have anyone on earth that could possibly believe in a God.”

I guess you must’ve read The End of Faith and it didn’t manage to shake you out of your delusions? Too bad.  I guess I’ll have to come down from my intellectually transcendent cloud and pronounce to those who still believe in their god after reading Sam Harris, “Obviously, you just didn’t get it!  The End of Faith comes from the same transcendent intelligence that all non-theistic truth comes, and if you didn’t understand what he was saying or you found yourself unable to grasp the concepts and precepts that Harris explained, then obviously you are simply lacking that sort of profound intellectual know-how that is required of the text.  You seem angry that you are unable to move to our transcendent perspective and you wish to blame us (atheists) for your shortcomings, but let me assure you that this is not our problem . . . it is yours - and all other believer’s as well!”

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 29 May 2007 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Hrudey”]Somebody may have already suggested this, but I propose a movement that will require mass cooperation.

It is easy to find people willing to donate $$$$$ for Jesus.  Someone would have to found an organization seeking out donations for buying and distributing Letter.  I’m not sure how feasible THAT would be.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 29 May 2007 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26

On DirecTV, the religion channels are in the high 360s and low 370s (if you don’t count the History Channel which has a scary fascination with premillennialism). Hypothetically, what if there was an Atheist Channel in that group? Think of how many believers might stumble onto the channel.

Posted: 29 May 2007 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-03-08

I’m sorry to say it, but the idea is really poorly conceived.  Seems altogether glimmicky to me.  What would be the point?  For it to be read?  No-one reads books left in hotel rooms; they certainly don’t read the Bibles left there.  Gideon doesn’t really expect them too.  How much of the Bible can you read staying in a motel?  It’s all psychological.  It’s a tool for prozelytising that works only because the Bible already has global and legendary status as a book.  Sam hasn’t quite reached those heady heights as yet.  It’s also an attempted psyhcological prophylactic against immoral behaviour in hotel rooms.  It’s harder to screw your brother’s wife when you know there’s a Bible next to you.  I think atheists should be cautious - very cautious - about adopting any “marketing” practice employed by religious groups, for the reason that most of these practices speak to, or manifest a certain mindset, and one that is anathema to free thinking, rational people.  Be wary.

I think money could be far better spent than on this whimsical notion.

Posted: 30 May 2007 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
[quote author=“Dan Rowden”] It’s harder to screw your brother’s wife when you know there’s a Bible next to you. 

I can tell you weren’t brought up Catholic.  :wink:

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 30 May 2007 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26
[quote author=“Dan Rowden”] It’s harder to screw your brother’s wife when you know there’s a Bible next to you. 

There’s a “Cheers” episode with that premise - apparently Sam Malone had never heard of the Gideons.

Posted: 30 May 2007 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-03-08

Actually I was brought up Catholic.  We make the best atheists because we’re only nominally religious to begin with - excepting the very conservative groups, who aren’t so much religious as fascist.

Posted: 31 May 2007 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2005-05-16

I have a better idea.  Print up some pre-stick labels which lists some of the bibles most embassasing verse and stick the in the bible.

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed