1 of 3
Athiest Alliance International Conference Sept. 2007
Posted: 30 May 2007 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2005-11-22

http://www.atheistalliance.org/conventions/2007/index.php

Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett and Christopher Hitchens and a host of others will be speakers.  I will be there on September 28th for the whole program and banquet.  Come on, let's get together in Arlington Virginia that weekend.  If I can do it from Arizona so can you all!!!

Posted: 20 June 2007 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-01-27

I’ve just registered online for the AAI 2007 convention in Washington.  Anybody else going to join Sandy and me? 

We could arrange a Harris forum table for the Saturday night banquet ... 

Hope some of you can make it!

Susan

Signature 

“Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it.”  Andre Gide

Posted: 20 June 2007 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

I’m delighted to know you, Susan, are going to attend.  We will meet up if only for a cup of coffee and yes, we need more from this forum to join us.

Posted: 21 June 2007 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Hi, Sandy ...

I’m going to pester a few regulars hear by sending them personal messages.  We’ll see what we get!

We can get in touch a few days before the conference to figure out where we can meet up.

Looking forward to it!

Susan

Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2007 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

I think that frankr lives in the Washingtion Metropolitan Area….....maybe everybody could stay at his house? LOL

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 21 June 2007 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

I will be staying at the hotel during the conference but will head to the area 4 days earlier.  My daughter lives in Bethesda and we have concert tickets the night before the convention starts. 

Sandy

Posted: 22 June 2007 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

I’d like to go. A friend of mine who’s big with the Rational Response Squad is going, I’m pretty sure, and my roommate would probably also like to go. We’ll just have to see how schedules and such work out I guess.

Hopefully I’ll get to meet you guys there though, live and in the flesh even.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 22 June 2007 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

Byron, that would be super!  I’m worried about the weather in September.  Remember I’m from the Arizona desert and need the heat for my old bones.  I will buy a wool sweater before I hop on the plane.  We spent a couple of weeks in Hawaii last year and I nearly froze to death. 

I may need to wear my sweatshirt “UCTAA” which stands for
“Universal Churth Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic”

Posted: 24 June 2007 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Did everybody receive the official notice of the convention from Sam (the website here) today?  Anybody else planning to attend?  As far as conferences go, the registrations fees are comparatively low.  If you can find a cheap flight, it may not be impossible.

Don’t mean to be a pest ... just thinking that it would be a lot of fun meeting some of the people behind the posts.  Probably equally interesting as meeting some of the guest speakers!

Susan

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2007 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

Did Sam make the official announcement here?  I read about the conference on another site and brought it here!  I know it is official as I’ve already signed up and received information from AA group.  I also posted it at Dawkin’s site.

Posted: 25 June 2007 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

I got a message from Sam via email because I subscribe to emailings.

I can’t go, but I’d like a report from you all when you get back from it. I’d like to know if there’s a discussion about what’s happening in American politics concerning the Universities that groom their students to be active in politics and get internships at the White House—-schools such as Regent, Liberty, Brown, and Patrick Henry.

If there is a discussion on this topic, I’d like to know if anyone comes up with solutions to this threat to democracy. If there’s a political action committee for this, I’d be interested in signing up.

Thanks!

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 25 June 2007 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2006-02-19

[quote author=“rab”]I can’t go, but I’d like a report from you all when you get back from it. I’d like to know if there’s a discussion about what’s happening in American politics concerning the Universities that groom their students to be active in politics and get internships at the White House—-schools such as Regent, Liberty, Brown, and Patrick Henry.

Brown? How dare Bush give internships to secular Ivy Leaguers. This goes too far!

CA is right. This conference is only an hour down the road for me. I say we meet for beers at the 4Ps or the Irish Times or my favorite of them all The Dubliner. I don’t know if I can go to the city though. I am used to country living. You cannot go wrong with the fish and chips at the dubliner. I think you will also doubt your lack of faith after a nice shot of Powers followed by a well poured pint of Guinness.

Cead Mile failte

Posted: 25 June 2007 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

[quote author=“frankr”]
Brown? How dare Bush give internships to secular Ivy Leaguers. This goes too far!

Ooops! I meant Bob Jones University. :oops:

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 08 July 2007 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

[quote author=“frankr”]

CA is right. This conference is only an hour down the road for me. I say we meet for beers at the 4Ps or the Irish Times or my favorite of them all The Dubliner. I don’t know if I can go to the city though. I am used to country living. You cannot go wrong with the fish and chips at the dubliner. I think you will also doubt your lack of faith after a nice shot of Powers followed by a well poured pint of Guinness.

Cead Mile failte

Oh Frank,  That is one of my favorite Senate side bars as well, and you are most correct—-you can’t beat the fish and chips (unless you are the Duke of Perth in Chicago or the Dundee Dell in Omaha).

I plan on coming, and I hope Frank does as well.  I would love to have a pint and powers with the man and discuss the finer points of Aquinian thought and bad Irish movies such as the Quiet man and Bells of saint Mary’s.

Slainte!

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

Posted: 08 August 2007 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Damn!

I just heard the conference sold out already and a waiting list is building up. I was holding out because I figured I could just go and register there without any trouble. Guess I’ll either just wait for the next one (ideally in ATL) or see what happens with the waiting list ...

What a pisser!

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 08 August 2007 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

I signed up weeks ago knowing it would be sold out.  The whole world is fed up with the religious nonsense in America.  I hope those of you who did make the reservations will be able to get together.  I’m certain we will be wearing ID pins and my name is Sandy Price.  I’m the old one with a limp.

1 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed