2 of 2
Xianity is a cult.
Posted: 14 January 2008 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15

Rodney Stark, in The Rise of Christianity: A Sociologist Reconsiders History draws a distinction between cults and sects and says that Jesus’ Kingdom movement would more accurately be called a sect—which he defines as a “...schism within a conventional religious body (in this case, Judaism) when persons desiring a more otherworldly version of the faith break away to ‘restore’ the religion to a higher level of tension with its environment.”, until the resurrection, when it became a cult—”...not simply new organizations of an old faith: they [cults] are new faiths, at least new in the society being examined.”
Furthermore, says Stark, sects appeal especially to those “if not the dispossessed, at least of the lower social standing than those who stick with the parent body”, but cults ” must draw upon the more privileged for their recruits.”-ibid
This sounds very much like the evolution of Jesus’ Kingdom of God (sect) as it became Paul’s Christianity (cult).
In any case, Christianity today is neither a sect nor a cult.  It’s a full-blown religion with cults and sects of it’s own.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 14 January 2008 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Dan Rowden - 13 June 2007 09:16 PM

Try as I might, I cannot find a reason to differentiate between those groups that we we call cults and any larger organised religion.

Popularity is more or less it.

Also, frankr is nowhere near as obtuse as he leads on. He understands a lot more than he pretends, but seems to find some value in the pretense, as if acting ignorant makes the subject or argument in question appear ignorant. He’s a silly person.

Byron

[ Edited: 14 January 2008 07:28 AM by SkepticX]
 Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 14 January 2008 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-08-01
Dan Rowden - 13 June 2007 09:16 PM

At what point does a cult become a recognised religion?

When enough members join by birth, I think. All religions start as cults, because no one is born with knowledge of their particular god, due to the deity not existing. Their member numbers can only grow by recruiting. Once they are large enough to create a small society, babies start to be born into the cult which transforms the cult into a small religion. I think that when you get to the second or third generation of members born into the cult it can be called a religion.

But that’s what I think. While searching for info about cults I came across this little thing

The advanced bonewits’ cult danger evaluation frame

Signature 

“If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James—- your original Hebrew is wrong.”—FSTDT

Posted: 15 January 2008 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2007-10-05

I was just watching a program on the National Geographic Channel on Christianity.  They referred to it as the “cult of Christianity” throughout the entire program.

Posted: 16 January 2008 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Under New Management - 16 January 2008 04:53 AM

I was just watching a program on the National Geographic Channel on Christianity.  They referred to it as the “cult of Christianity” throughout the entire program.

(Andrew):  National Geograpic Channel?  Well…that settles it, then.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 16 January 2008 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-05
Andrew - 16 January 2008 08:04 AM

Ok smarty pants, I was just sharing a little fun info.  Nothing more.

Posted: 16 January 2008 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Under New Management - 16 January 2008 10:32 AM
Andrew - 16 January 2008 08:04 AM

Ok smarty pants…

grin

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2008 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Was it specifically about early Christianity by any chance?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 16 January 2008 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-05
SkepticX - 16 January 2008 03:41 PM

Was it specifically about early Christianity by any chance?

Byron

Hello Byron.  Well it covered it’s organization and development through to present time.

Posted: 22 February 2008 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2008-02-10

yahsene, Mohammad created Islam, not his followers, yet Islam is seen as a religion.

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed