5 of 5
If life is a positive and death is a negative…........
Posted: 12 April 2008 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
meloncolin - 12 April 2008 06:49 PM

Byron, this doesn’t address the core of the problem- that the gold standard negative-to-be-disproven that you, as far as i can tell, are operating on ...

You’ll find no basis to suggest I’m operating under any such standard in what I’ve written. You seem to be extrapolating a little too freely on that point. All you have to base it on is that I’m calling you on what appear to be your overly free extrapolations about the nature of death.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 13 April 2008 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  651
Joined  2006-12-08
meloncolin - 12 April 2008 07:52 AM

Zero is still a number, it’s not a negative. If negative experiences were negative then wouldn’t they be represented by -1? Is there a reason why it couldn’t be -1?

Zero is neither positive or negative.  It is the absence of anything.  In order for an experience to have a non-zero value, there first has to be an experience.  But “it” (I assume you mean death, the state of being dead) is the absence of any experience. 

If I were making a claim to what happens after death, then I’d agree with you but I’m not, so I don’t.

You’re claiming that something happens (or might happen) after death.  But nothing does.  Why is that so hard to accept?  It reminds me of the idea that life must have meaning.  It may be comforting to think it, but wishful thinking doesn’t make it so.

It’s obvious why you would regard my comments as faith. Either you haven’t realized, or you disagree, that the science you’ve banked your position on regarding the nature of perception actually has a lot of good questions hanging over it, questions that leave many scientists unconvinced for good reasons. Your certainty is based on an unproven theory.

Yes, yes.  I’ve heard that same argument from the biblical literalists.  There are an amazing number of sources dedicated to proving that evolution is impossible, or to debunking all the science that shows the world is more than 6,000 years old, blah blah blah.  I’m sure there are plenty of sources that prove consciousness comes from the Ether instead of our heads and continues on after we do.  How exactly does that work, anyway?  There must be a theory of how “consciousness” can exist sans brain cells?  I’ll bet Microsoft is studying that phenomenon.  Their next version of Windows won’t need hardware to run. 

Maybe you think that’s tangential to the original post, but I disagree.  Before I buy a non-zero value for non-existence, I’ll have to be convinced that experience is possible in a state of non-existence. 

Like I said, that ‘fact’ is far from conclusive.

If it makes you feel better to believe in experience after death, then drive on.  Why should you be held to a higher standard than the Christians or the Muslims or the Scientologists?  Why should you be taken any more seriously than them, or ouigee boards or magic eight-balls?  I don’t see the difference.

Signature 

Do-gooding is like treating hemophilia—the real cure is to let hemophiliacs bleed to death, before they breed more hemophiliacs. -Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Posted: 14 April 2008 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Antisocialdarwinist - 14 April 2008 01:18 AM

If it makes you feel better to believe in experience after death, then drive on.

Can’t really blame him/her there. I’d much rather deal with “death” as a transition kind of deal too. I just don’t seem to have the option of slacking off on my standards of evidence and reasoning, even for such high stakes personal sensibilities.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 26 April 2008 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2008-02-10
meloncolin - 14 August 2007 12:01 AM

then mathematically wouldn't that make life= 1 and death= -1

i thought death would be zero, but zero is not a negative. Its still a number, isn't it?

Life is a positive and death is the opposite of life which means it would have to be a negative. The nearest negative to 1 is -1.

So is death -1?

If it is then what is zero?

Zero rests in between 1 and -1. So what is it? Its not life and its not death. Its neither. So what is it?

Is it a state of no-life and no-death?

How do you know that death is not a continuation of life?

Is it a state of nothingness? Is it the 'emptiness' that the buddhists talk of?

Is this what Antoine Lavoisier was talking about when he said 'nothing is born, nothing dies' ?

ok probably better to ask the kurzweilian transhumanists instead they understand my ramblings more betterish

5 of 5

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed