Is Sam Harris a vegan/vegatarian?
Posted: 05 September 2007 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-09-05

I'm not overly concerned with this matter, I'm just curious.

Posted: 09 October 2007 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-09-05

*bump

Posted: 10 October 2007 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-12-05

are you asking because you’re looking for reasons to become a vegetarian?

Signature 

“All Truth passes through Three Stages: First, it is Ridiculed…
Second, it is Violently Opposed…
Third, it is Accepted as being Self-Evident.”

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted: 21 October 2007 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-09-05

No, I’m just curious what Sam chooses to do assuming that we need to know more about animal suffering versus human suffering.

Posted: 25 November 2007 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-09-05

*bump

Posted: 03 December 2007 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2007-07-28

He’s very left, I imagine.  His utmost concern seems to be maximizing on earth whatever neurological experience equates to human happiness.  This is all good, of course.  But I worry sometimes that this view might lead to some collectivist state where there is just this massive government that plays games with human brains and ‘makes’ the people happy.

A bit sci-fi, I know.  But…ah, whatever.

Posted: 08 December 2007 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2007-12-07
meloncolin - 10 October 2007 10:34 AM

are you asking because you’re looking for reasons to become a vegetarian?

LOL

I don’t know why, but that made me laugh.

Signature 

- Jeff

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gLt73xSJlAM

Posted: 03 August 2011 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  2006-04-24

No, Sam Harris is not a vegetarian.  He says he was, for six years, but says he feels better as an omnivore.  He says, however, that the consumption of meat is not morally defensible.

I have no idea what he ate when he was a vegetarian.  I imagine, given his stance regarding the morality of meat consumption, that if he could find a way to feel well on a vegan diet, he would choose to be vegan. 

If and when that time comes, Sam, let me know.  I went through the transition from an omnivore to vegetarian to a vegan junkatarian to a vegan health-nut.  I can help you structure a delicious, satisfying, healthy, energizing diet of nothing but whole plant foods.  Heck, I’ll even cook for you! wink  It’s the very least I could do.

Posted: 05 January 2013 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-01-04

Eating animals is not necessary.

It’s not the healthiest option or the most humane choice. You don’t have to eat animals or animal products to get the best nutrition or the most tasty food. Look it up for yourself on the Internet. There is a huge amount of research that supports a plant based diet and tons of delicious recipes that will satisfy your gastronomic cravings. Vegan products and restaurants are easier to find now more than ever. Additionally, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and various forms of cancer could be averted by eating a plant based diet.

Eating animals and animal products is not the most environmentally friendly way to go either. It takes a lot more water and land resources to produce meat, eggs and milk. Animal waste runoff and the emissions from the waste is incredibly damaging to the environment, and animal factory farm related diseases are toxically damaging to everyone.

Eating and hunting animals is also not the best option for your psyche, and it doesn’t make you more manly. Killing animals and eating meat may be necessary if you’re starving to death and there is no other choice, but under ordinary circumstances you’ve got to ask yourself if you’re truly conscious of your moral compass. What are you really trying to prove by killing an innocent being who hasn’t done anything to you personally? Doesn’t sound compassionate or considerate does it? Reasonable land resource management doesn’t require hunting wildlife to control the numbers.

And finally, how many human lives, let alone animals lives, could be saved by not eating or using animals or animal products. Billions of people and animals could be spared from unnecessary suffering and death by considering the most sustainable options for our planet. It is the conscious decision making of rational and reasonable thinking people that can make the difference. 

Eating animals is not necessary.

Posted: 27 January 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2013-01-26

Rami,
“He says he was, for six years, but says he feels better as an omnivore.  He says, however, that the consumption of meat is not morally defensible.”

To me this doesn’t make much sense. Does this mean he has more energy, is healthier, or some other quality of feeling better?

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2010-06-04
Rami - 03 August 2011 09:20 PM

No, Sam Harris is not a vegetarian.  He says he was, for six years, but says he feels better as an omnivore.  He says, however, that the consumption of meat is not morally defensible.

I wish Sam would write a book on the principles that actually drive his choices, instead of the principles he likes to pretend he wishes drove his choices.

Posted: 09 April 2013 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2013-04-04
buybuydandavis - 02 February 2013 07:47 PM
Rami - 03 August 2011 09:20 PM

I wish Sam would write a book on the principles that actually drive his choices, instead of the principles he likes to pretend he wishes drove his choices.

This made me laugh. Theres a distinction between the realm of “what is good and what is bad” and “How do we get people to do good things?”. As Sam points out, we all do things that we know are bad for us. I gather Sam, like many of us, was taught, and had the necessary experiences, to generally want to do what is right or good. Unfortunately he didn’t have the necessary experiences to overcome his desire for the taste and nutritional value of protein. Even the experience of knowing eating meat is ultimately a bad thing wasn’t enough to change his behavior. If it was, he’d be a vegetarian.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed