Travis: Ongoing Problems With New Format
Posted: 25 October 2007 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

Travis,

We’ve been chronicling various frustrations on two other threads in this subforum—could you let us know if any of these issues are fixable?

~ Frequent double and triple-postings on threads

~ Possibly the same issue in private messaging (at least it has happened to me)

~ No ability to see/review a thread while typing in the reply box (preventing the ability to extract quotes or to check a member’s names, unless you backtrack out of the reply mode)

~ Need an icon at the top of the forum that links back to Sam’s main site.

~ Preview Post page is apparently not functioning (proofreading).

~ No access to “Posts since your last visit”, as there used to be.

Am I the only one who finds the main forum page cumbersome to navigate through?

Thanks,
Mia

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 27 October 2007 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

I’m also having trouble in PMs. I have a visible Inbox, but cannot bring up a listing of Sent items.

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2007 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2006-02-19

I’d like to add that it seems we are unable to delete post like we used to.

I mean our own post, mind you, not someone elses cheese

Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

Posted: 01 November 2007 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

Travis can you please post a tagging FAQ/guide for this new software, since the necessary symbols and relevent word abbreviations have changed?

Example: quoting a person used to be indicated by [ quote=“Mia” ] . . . but now it’s [ quote author=“Mia” ].

Has the ability to post jpg images from the web been disabled? I have not been able to figure out the image tag for that.

Also, is it necessary to have a 6000-character limit per post? Granted, that at first seems like a lot, but not when one is posting an article, or responding to a long post where quotes are necessary.

[ Edited: 01 November 2007 11:17 PM by Mia]
 Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2007 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15
Mia - 25 October 2007 04:08 AM

Travis,
~ Frequent double and triple-postings on threads

This is happening SO very often, no doubt because it can take a full minute or more for a post to go through. The person gets impatient, hits the Submit icon multiple times, hence dupes appear when the thread eventually refreshes. Can this be fixed?

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2007 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-07-07

I will look into all these things.

One idea: the “Fast Reply” link allows you to stay on the page and yet still see the entire forum thread.  I use it frequently, especially if I know I’m not going to need the option buttons of the full reply screen.

TTFN
Travis

Posted: 02 November 2007 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-07-07
Mia - 25 October 2007 04:08 AM

~ No ability to see/review a thread while typing in the reply box (preventing the ability to extract quotes or to check a member’s names, unless you backtrack out of the reply mode)

~ Need an icon at the top of the forum that links back to Sam’s main site.

~ Preview Post page is apparently not functioning (proofreading).

~ No access to “Posts since your last visit”, as there used to be.

Mia,

Can you confirm that you’re using the “SamH” forum layout?  When I’m using that, and if I hit the “Post Reply” button (not the “quote” button) I see a link at the bottom of the reply page that says “Thread Review”

As for an icon at the top of the forum—using the “samh” Sam Harris forum templates, the full Sam Harris site nav is available on every page. Ditto for the access to Posts since your last visit.

TTFN
Travis

Posted: 02 November 2007 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15
Travis Smith - 02 November 2007 06:01 AM

Mia,

Can you confirm that you’re using the “SamH” forum layout?  When I’m using that, and if I hit the “Post Reply” button (not the “quote” button) I see a link at the bottom of the reply page that says “Thread Review”

I hadn’t even checked back with that narrow format—it was one of the things I was glad to leave behind! I’ve been using the Developer format since the new software was installed, but will now switch over to one of the others, since I find the Developer’s main forum page to be too cluttered.

But having just clicked over to the SamH format, yes, I see the Thread Review option at the bottom of any reply page. It lets you open the thread in another window or tab. It’s better than nothing, but the old format showed the thread right on the same page as the reply, so that you could quickly retrieve quotes. Just wondering if we can get that back.

Travis Smith - 02 November 2007 06:01 AM

As for an icon at the top of the forum—using the “samh” Sam Harris forum templates, the full Sam Harris site nav is available on every page. Ditto for the access to Posts since your last visit.

TTFN
Travis

A direct logo link at the top of every page was what I was wondering about—that option only appears on the SamH and the Blue format—while in the other formats, you would have to know to click on the “Home” text to get there. 

As for the links to new postings, the new options—“View New Posts” and “View Today’s Active Topics”—usually bring up either a blank page, or they offer only an incomplete list of new posts since my last visit. This may be a factor of my browser settings (Firefox)—maybe they just don’t work the same with this software.

[ Edited: 02 November 2007 03:58 AM by Mia]
 Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2007 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

Another thing that was brought up in the other thread of issues. . . After posting a reply, you are returned to the thread, but not snapped to your new post, as was previously the case. You now have to scan down to it.

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed