The Moonies
Posted: 08 January 2005 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2004-12-22

Thanks for setting up this board,  hope its interesting to those reading it.

The Moonies "Unification Church" gained a lot of adverse publicity in the 70's and then seemed to drop off the map,  well they never really dissappeared and last year rev Moon was recognised and crowned The Messiah in a US Senate Building of all places!!

For those that feel America doesn't have enough coronation ceremonies, you're gonna love this:

Rev Moon Crowned Messiah in US Senate Building

Here's a juicy quote:

The US Senate was used for a bizarre ritual in which the Rev Sun Myung Moon, the head of the Unification church, was "crowned" and declared himself the messiah in the presence of more than a dozen Republican and Democratic members of Congress, it was reported yesterday.
"Emperors, kings and presidents ... have declared to all heaven and Earth that Reverend Sun Myung Moon is none other than humanity's saviour, messiah, returning Lord and true parent," the 85-year-old Korean "Moonie" cult leader told several hundred guests at the meeting in one of the Senate's office buildings on March 23, according to the Washington Post.

And here is the very informative blog of the reporter who broke the above story, John Gorenfeld
http://www.iapprovethismessiah.com/

A video and transcript of the above coronation ceremony is on John's site here

Posted: 08 January 2005 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2004-12-27

That’s amazing.

D

Posted: 10 January 2005 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2004-12-22

This is completely outrageous. I knew Rev. Moon owned the Washington Times, but had absolutely no idea he also owned UPI. When did he buy UPI, and why wasn’t there more of a public outcry about it?

Posted: 10 January 2005 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

I think its a great story.  It is things like that that will eventually bring them all down!

Pete

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 11 January 2005 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-22

[quote author=“nancynancy”] and why wasn’t there more of a public outcry about it?

Good question,  I don’t know, I do know when the Moonies get criticised they play the “Religious persecution” card, which has been quote successful in getting them some allies. 

And sadly what I’ve noticed myself is that when it comes to cults people either don’t understand them or don’t care.

What got me interested in cults was discovering the Korean town I was living in last year was home to a very dangerous and little known off-shoot of the Moonies.  A cult who’s leader is wanted for rape and fraud by Interpol.  His cult openly operates at Universities across the US.
I emailed loads of people at those universites and said,  “This group operating on your campus is a danger to your students… etc”
I Provided all the links that should of at least made them think. “hey lets look into this”
UCLA and Universuty if Hawaii where the cult is most active in all honesty seemed to not care at all.  No one at the Dean’s office at UCLA bothered to reply
This cult has murdered in Korea and the leader has been accused of literally hundreds of sexual assaults,  and his cult seems to enjoy free use of facilities at UCLA and Univ of Hawaii,
I think if I was the Dean of students at UCLA I’d be a little concerned about that, apparently it doesn’t bother the current dean at all

Posted: 11 January 2005 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-22

CaptPorridge, Has the University of Hawaii responded?

By the way, is CaptPorridge just a nickname, or are you in the military?

Posted: 11 January 2005 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

No just a nickname,  user name that stuck!

I emailed a counsellor at Univ of Hawaii and she said she would send it onto the Dean,  she replied that he had never heard of the group and would look into it.  Actually I think my above comment was unfair, I really don;t know what the reaction was to my emails to UCLA since I never recieved any reply

The cult concerned actually received an award at the Univ Of Hawaii
http://www.hawaii.edu/sapfb/AwardsSP03.html

And here are Rick Ross’s and Steven Hassan’s files on the group:
http://freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/groups/g/global_association/
http://www.rickross.com/groups/gacp.html

Here’s the best article on the group, but even that in my opinion is just the tip of the iceberg:
http://www.rickross.com/reference/gacp/gacp1.html

The photo of the cult leader surrounded by some his chicks was actually taken in Hawaii:
http://falsemessiah.proboards23.com

And if you really have a lot of time on your hands,
Here is where I spent 3 months outlining my experiences of living in a town in which everyone I knew that that guy was Jesus:
http://www.koreabridge.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=33&t=2299

Posted: 11 January 2005 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-22

Oops forgot to sign in,  that was me

Posted: 13 January 2005 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-22

Capt. Porridge, This is what I would do to get UCLA’s attention. It will require some effort, but I’m certain it will work.

First write a carefully written, business-like letter about the threat to students at UCLA and the school’s surprising lack of response and send this to the editor of the Los Angeles Times. Be sure to follow all the guidelines posted in the letters to the editor section of the paper’s website. In all likelihood, your letter will not be published, but that does not matter.

Next, send a copy of your LA Times letter along with a separate cover letter addressed to the President of UCLA with a cc to the Dean’s office. Send these letters on good stationery by certified, return receipt requested US mail because they will be impossible to ignore that way.

Call the school’s student newspaper and talk to the editor or one of the paper’s more experienced reporters. Tell them about the threat, about the school’s lack of response and that this story would make an excellent article or hard hitting series. Offer to provide them with copies of your letters and also with any other background information they need.

University presidents hate negative publicity about threats to their students because they’re afraid parents won’t let their children enroll and alumni will cut off donations. If you can attract the attention of just one of these organizations, you can start the ball rolling.

By the way, Sam Harris is now a grad student at UCLA, but I wouldn’t drag him into this controversy.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Posted: 13 January 2005 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-22

Hi Nancynancy
Thanks for your reply.

I am certainly willing to take the time to do that,
I won’t have much chance in the next month or so, with a change of job and location plus part time studies which I’m falling behind on.  But in about 7-8 weeks I should have the time to sit down and gather my thoughts and write the letters. 

I sent my emails to UCLA at around the same time my former roommate was being stalked and harrassed by cult members, which was also the time when we both realized that the head of their Church was wanted by Interpol.  It was, well a pretty surreal experience, and I think I was a lot more stressed about it then I realized at the time.  The original emails may have been a little over dramatic or emotional.  I certainly remember being absolutely flabbergasted and quite angry when I first saw the cult’s LA website with all their references to events at UCLA,
It was soon after that that I first emailed UCLA.  It’s a year later now, and apart from knowing a lot more about this cult, I’m less attached emotionally so it feels like the right time to really sit down and put it all in writing in a clear and concise way.

Posted: 13 January 2005 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2004-12-24

Follow the money trail to understand cults.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed