sam
Posted: 19 March 2008 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-19

has any one had any success shaking the faith of their friend?  how so? 

am i right to think that you cannot directly deconvert someone, and rather they have to discover the truth on their own?

Posted: 21 March 2008 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2007-07-03
mherold - 20 March 2008 01:25 AM

has any one had any success shaking the faith of their friend?  how so? 

Am I right to think that you cannot directly deconvert someone, and rather they have to discover the truth on their own?

Correcto, mherold only kids are easy guided in their thinking adults have an accepted and preconceived paradigm of thinking that only they can change. But exposing your own thinking process may help other find their truth on their own.

Signature 

“Life is the COEXISTENCE of opposites values”
Love is Forgiveness
Peace is Tolerance
“In the beginning Man created God according to his own image and understanding. Over the years as Men understanding of morality, violence and tolerance evolves, so evolves our understanding of a Loving God”.

Posted: 27 March 2008 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2007-10-18

-deleted-

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 04:38 PM by J.C.]

Posted: 28 March 2008 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04

Why is anyone looking for converts?  To what?  When the genius Einstein labored his life away to help mankind understand the creation of the cosmos, do you think he ever thought of converting someone to his truth?  I’m thinking not.  He only labored to prove his thoughts wrong and was always willing to change his mind if the observation did not support his theories.  This is what seperates us from them.

Do we as non-believers want to prosyltize to others?  If so, will we teach Hume, Sam, Dawkins, Freud or Hawking…maybe create a holy book with all of them?

I’m surrounded by wonderful people in my life who call themselves Christian, Hindu, Muslim, and Jewish.  Many believe with all their heart.  Many place all of their hope in this wishful thinking and as long as they are not trying to inculcate my children or working to influence the Congress to pass Sharia, I’m not sure I want the responsibility of “breaking the spell.”

I dream that someday people will judge non-believers by our contributions to society and the morals we demonstrate in our behavior.  Our numbers grow everyday.  Truth is taking on a life of its own and nothing short of Inquisition will change that anyway. If any of your Religious friends truly want to find answers, truths, and open themselves to free inquiry…there is a litany of information for them to discover.  Others please jump in here and tell me do you think we should, morally or ethically, see ourselves as evangelist?  My vote is no.  The truth is the truth.  You can bring the horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

Lastly, Sam says we should work towards ending “Faith.”  Myself, I’d be quite happy to just shut them up in politics and other places where visions and revelation have no place.

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed