As I continue to increase the scope of my work—which currently includes podcasts, books, audiobooks, videos, public talks, an app, blog posts, op-eds, documentary and television interviews, and other projects—the time has come to expand my team. I’m now looking for a full-time creative projects manager.
As my creative projects manager, you will help oversee my various publishing channels, which include:
- a blog that attracts more than 500,000 unique visitors each month
- a podcast that was named one of “iTunes Best of 2015”; regularly ranks in the top 100 in the US, the UK, Canada, and Australia; and reaches a minimum of 300,000 listeners per episode
- an email newsletter that goes out to more than 100,000 subscribers
- a forthcoming app that will be a major new project for me in 2017, requiring continual development
- live events for audiences of 500–2000 people (including lectures, daylong conferences, and podcast interviews)
- social media accounts that have a combined reach of more than 1 million people
I will be bouncing ideas off you and seeking your advice. Working with me will also put you in contact with some very interesting people. However, you will also have to function as an executive assistant — keeping my calendar, sorting through the 34,000+ emails currently in my inbox, booking podcast guests, planning my live events, etc.
The job will undoubtedly change over time. In fact, one of your primary responsibilities will be to find ways to help me that I haven’t thought of yet. If you are the right person for this position, we will eventually need to hire someone to do all the things you shouldn’t be doing, and our team will grow.
You will be able to do most of this work from home and generally set your own hours. However, you will occasionally need to be available during the evenings and on weekends. Pay will be competitive.
You needn’t have read all my books or listened to all my podcasts, but it is important that you be very familiar with my work and committed to furthering it. If you’re not a fan of the way I tackle polarizing topics and cross boundaries between intellectual disciplines, this isn’t the job for you.
You must be highly organized and well-informed. You should be a careful reader, writer, and editor, and you must have a strong sense of design as applied to apps, websites, videos, book covers, etc. Whatever your background, you should already possess the skills and experience that will make you effective in this role.
You must have:
- a real desire to help spread my ideas
- at least 3 years of relevant work experience
- excellent written and spoken communication skills
- a high degree of comfort using common software packages and online tools (MailChimp, Excel, blogging CMS, social media analytics, etc.)
And at least one of the following:
- a background as a software/web/app developer
- a degree in a relevant academic field
- experience in publishing (or other media), online marketing, or advertising
- experience as an executive assistant
Please don’t apply for this position if your primary goal is to apprentice with me so that you can become an author, podcaster, science communicator, etc. To do this job well, you must actually want to be my creative projects manager.
If you think you’d be a good fit for this position, please complete the application linked below.
Wishing you all the best,