On Lying

Peter Sills

Peter Sills
Total Posts:  1
Joined  22-04-2013

22 April 2013 14:53

I really enjoyed this book, I wish there was more of it.  He’s preaching to the choir with me on atheism.  I wish there was more here said about being the kind of person who no one needs to lie too.  I’m sure some of you get the idea of who I am talking about. The world is full of individuals who are so neurotic that maintaining a truthful relationship with them is a day to day challenge.  Leaving aside brutal dictators or cult leaders, how about being a neurotic parent who ends up encouraging a child’s dishonesty because they cannot manage their anger when the child maintains the truth.  It seems to be of equal importance, especially to a parent.

Hypersoup

Hypersoup
Total Posts:  688
Joined  24-01-2013

13 May 2013 05:21

Not read “lying” but he did mention in the moral landscape sometimes no one benefits from the truth being told. In her boodk “braintrust” Patricia Churchland has a go at Kantianinsm and its dogmatic so called “respect for rationality” IIRC.

[ Edited: 13 May 2013 05:38 by Hypersoup]

boagie

boagie
Total Posts:  125
Joined  28-12-2011

13 May 2013 12:04

I too have not read the said essay, and perhaps that is best. Just common sense tells me, in order to adapt to reality we need to be aware of it, pleasing or no. It seems to me lying is necessarily the placing of barriers and the giving of false direction to the individuals power of reason, and therefore a disservice. It is paving the road the hell if you like, the degree to which this is done might be a measure of the character of the individual doing lying—just a thought, by no means a new one.

HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS!!!——-lol!!

[ Edited: 13 May 2013 12:36 by boagie]

Hypersoup

Hypersoup
Total Posts:  688
Joined  24-01-2013

14 May 2013 03:40

But if the individual has an evil charachter and an evil plan, then ones own ends probably are more worrthy of service. Which plant would you water, the tomato or the poison ivy? If lying is more fruitful, it is actually the wiser option.

[ Edited: 14 May 2013 03:50 by Hypersoup]

boagie

boagie
Total Posts:  125
Joined  28-12-2011

14 May 2013 05:19

Hypersoup - 14 May 2013 03:40 AM

But if the individual has an evil charachter and an evil plan, then ones own ends probably are more worrthy of service. Which plant would you water, the tomato or the poison ivy? If lying is more fruitful, it is actually the wiser option.

Hi Hypersoup,

Self interest is at the root of lying but in most instances being a member of a social group means you have an obligation, a social contract that says in order for me to reap the benefits of this society I must keep its standards of behaviour, its standards of morality. For most people keeping this contract is in their long-term self-interest even where they do not think so, people who greatly violate this principle go to jail or become CEO’ s of large corporations—not really a joke. We are social creatures so where you might believe you can take advantage of society by belonging to a sub-group society and violating your larger social contract, it often proves NOT to have been in your own self-interest after all. Here individual judgement it seems to me to be critical, and if your judgment is incorrect in the short term or the long-term regarding your self-interest, the lye’s you told to steer you course will bite you.

It is the talking snakes fault———-lol!!

Mark Twain on the Art of Lying
http://www.online-literature.com/twain/1320/

[ Edited: 19 May 2013 10:15 by boagie]

josephbenny550

josephbenny550
Total Posts:  1
Joined  17-05-2017

17 May 2017 22:27

Fear and lies are the best emotions… Click Here to know more facts

[ Edited: 18 May 2017 21:19 by josephbenny550]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  1056
Joined  21-10-2016

18 May 2017 06:45

boagie - 14 May 2013 05:19 AM

Mark Twain on the Art of Lying
http://www.online-literature.com/twain/1320/

Thanks for posting this link.
Not many today can improve on Mark Twain’s writings, and would agree with him that “An injurious lie is an uncommendable thing; and so, also, and in the same degree, is an injurious truth.