1 2 3 >  Last ›

The Forum Diary

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5228
Joined  22-02-2005

13 August 2010 20:09

This is the first entry in a new ongoing feature called The Forum Diary.

No big issues here: just forum stories. Yours, mine: it’s a forum-forum.

A few weeks ago, I was stuck here on the phone and watching the forum and up sprang a boboquake. So, I deleted it and went over to Harris to find that Mr. Hippo had sprayed over there, too. Mr. Hippo was online, so this quickly turned into a post/delete contest. (My call went on forever) The seige got tiresome after 5 minutes but I was determined to defend the fort. I was deleting bobo’s only 8 seconds old. Soon, I was logged into both forums on two screens. It got really silly. Maybe 50 or 60 tries. Finally, Mr. Hippo logged off after 40 minutes of hitting the Harris Fire Wall. It was strangely satisfying. 

Since then, I wait for it to log off and wander away and then I’ll clean up the mess.

Imagine the excitement: the anticipation: Mr. Hippo must feel as he huddles over his fresh boboquake, clicking every few minutes to make sure I haven’t turned it into a picture of SpongeBob, giggling in the pure ecstasy of knowing that a useless, incoherent ramble we’ve all seen before is safely ensconced where it seems to belong. I almost hate to snap off the emotional high but he always post again.

Should the new “ban” button ever arrive, Mr. Hippo will be the first to feel its wrath. And his 400 aliases.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

13 August 2010 21:08

Nhoj Morley - 13 August 2010 06:09 PM

Should the new “ban” button ever arrive, Mr. Hippo will be the first to feel its wrath. And his 400 aliases.

Cool! Kudos to you for your valiant efforts, Nhoj. I enthusiastically await the button’s arrival so that you can zap those suckers into oblivion.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19757
Joined  20-07-2007

13 August 2010 21:19

Hoping for that arrival soon as well.

Good thread.  Useful to read what mod have to do.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9140
Joined  29-01-2010

13 August 2010 23:02

So this is a forum about the forum? 

Well, I’m feeling a bit sad about ClayforHim maybe becoming an agnostic, but, I’m also happy about it because I think we will all like him better now that he isn’t full of certitude.

I have a new student whose mother is a NYC detective and she has a scrap book of photos from 9/11 with people jumping off the buildings.  It is so weird and disturbing.  When she showed it to me, I tried to be pleasant (I need the money), but, gee whiz, that’s wacky, isn’t it? I purposely blurred my vision so I wouldn’t see them clearly.  I think I might have nightmares if I did.

But, I guess that’s not about the Forum, is it? 

Oh well, I threw it in anyway.  I just HAD to tell someone!

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  5663
Joined  08-12-2006

13 August 2010 23:08

Good for you! I can’t believe you don’t already have a ban button.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Joined  19-12-2007

13 August 2010 23:10

saralynn - 13 August 2010 09:02 PM

Well, I’m feeling a bit sad about ClayforHim maybe becoming an agnostic, but, I’m also happy about it because I think we will all like him better now that he isn’t full of certitude.

What gives you that idea? Take off the kid gloves, probe him enough, and I think you’ll find he’s a deceptive fundamentalist masquerading (on this forum) as a reasoned moderate (if there is such a thing religiously speaking).

[Nevermind, I just saw the OP.] Still, I’m extremely skeptical.

[ Edited: 13 August 2010 23:16 by goodgraydrab]

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9140
Joined  29-01-2010

13 August 2010 23:29

GGD: Nevermind, I just saw the OP.] Still, I’m extremely skeptical.

The post seemed sincere, but who knows?

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

13 August 2010 23:51

Dear Project Reason diary. It is now mid August, the dog days of summer, and I am here. I am sad about that. I am a naturalist. A lover of nature. A lover of evolution in nature. A lover of Charles Darwin. Usually in August I am backpacking, and fly fishing, and writing and reading and remembering and forgetting about things like religion, finance and politics. I am watching the Lupine and Fireweed slowly dry and die, the days grow just a little shorter in the Rocky Mountain West, and the trout change their feeding habits, as they have done for eons of time according to the season and the laws of biology and nature.

Dear Project Reason diary, I am here, and I am a bit sad, but there are worse places to be.

Now, prove me right.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15489
Joined  15-02-2008

14 August 2010 00:47

eudemonia - 13 August 2010 09:51 PM

Dear Project Reason diary. It is now mid August, the dog days of summer, and I am here. I am sad about that. I am a naturalist. A lover of nature. A lover of evolution in nature. A lover of Charles Darwin. Usually in August I am backpacking, and fly fishing, and writing and reading and remembering and forgetting about things like religion, finance and politics. I am watching the Lupine and Fireweed slowly dry and die, the days grow just a little shorter in the Rocky Mountain West, and the trout change their feeding habits, as they have done for eons of time according to the season and the laws of biology and nature.

Dear Project Reason diary, I am here, and I am a bit sad, but there are worse places to be.

Now, prove me right.

You could be flailing about on the floor of some church shouting gibberish while your friends yelled hallelujah and praise the lord.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Joined  19-12-2007

14 August 2010 01:55

eudemonia - 13 August 2010 09:51 PM

Now, prove me right.

kiss  kiss

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  8526
Joined  15-06-2006

14 August 2010 09:58

Nhoj Morley - 13 August 2010 06:09 PM

This is the first entry in a new ongoing feature called The Forum Diary.

No big issues here: just forum stories. Yours, mine: it’s a forum-forum.

A few weeks ago, I was stuck here on the phone and watching the forum and up sprang a boboquake. So, I deleted it and went over to Harris to find that Mr. Hippo had sprayed over there, too. Mr. Hippo was online, so this quickly turned into a post/delete contest. (My call went on forever) The seige got tiresome after 5 minutes but I was determined to defend the fort. I was deleting bobo’s only 8 seconds old. Soon, I was logged into both forums on two screens. It got really silly. Maybe 50 or 60 tries. Finally, Mr. Hippo logged off after 40 minutes of hitting the Harris Fire Wall. It was strangely satisfying. 

Since then, I wait for it to log off and wander away and then I’ll clean up the mess.

Imagine the excitement: the anticipation: Mr. Hippo must feel as he huddles over his fresh boboquake, clicking every few minutes to make sure I haven’t turned it into a picture of SpongeBob, giggling in the pure ecstasy of knowing that a useless, incoherent ramble we’ve all seen before is safely ensconced where it seems to belong. I almost hate to snap off the emotional high but he always post again.

(Andrew):  I just deleted a few from Mr Boobquake ten minutes ago. 
When we had the button, didn’t we ban him once a week or so?  And he kept coming back? 
Perhaps if we could find out where he lives, Guido and Muhammad could make a road trip and have a “little talk” with him?

[ Edited: 14 August 2010 10:01 by Andrew]

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

28 August 2010 23:29

I take it that his IP cannot be blocked?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5228
Joined  22-02-2005

20 September 2010 09:01

Post # 400

It has been three, maybe four weeks now since I sent our proposal to the Overlords of the Beloved Forum. We did all the special ritual dances we could think of and I burned several strange substances in my ashtray. Despite our entreatments, there has been no response. In fact, there has been no real evidence of their existence. As Sam Harris, our mentor, has pointed out repeatedly, we should not believe in the existence of things for which there is no evidence. This has challenged my faith in the Forum Overlords. This has dampened my anticipation of a future paradise full of ban buttons and perfect administrator bodies. Can I truly call myself an atheist if I believe in Sam Harris?

We celebrate another milestone in the forum membership. 50,000 and counting! Bots selling things to other bots.

I thank everyone for their clever and useful suggestions about how we can control the spam problem.  I printed them out and burned them in the ashtray with the other stuff. It’s the snail-like way, but we tried all the others.

I’ve tried to imagine what a good spam-fighting strategy would look like and who would make a good spam-fighter. Ms. Iso could attack their bad grammer. Mr. Elk and Mr. Davoz could make them feel inadequate. Burt could crush them with book recommendations.

Alas, so empowering are these admin powers that the Overlords themselves fear them and will likely share them with only the smallest inner sanctum of High Priests.

So for now, we must continue with our policy of aggressive deletions of anything that even smells like spam.
For new posters, that means we may blow you away in our unbridled ferocity by mistaking you for spam. If so, we apologize, and please try again. Say a few things. Maybe, “Hi, I am not a bot. Please don’t delete me.” And please, do not put links (even nice ones) in your posts or signatures until you are confirmed as a person by forum members.
We had to get tougher because the spammers got tougher first. There’s a long battle ahead and, as I said elsewhere, we may crush a few panflutes along the way.

We still have sporadic Boboquakes in the forecast. It doesn’t seem to be moving off any time soon. Crews are working around the clock cleaning up the debris. We strongly urge forum members to take cover and look away until it’s gone, and please, stay off the report buttons. We have emergency personnel with special Doppler Bobo equipment that constantly tracks its movements. Crews in chaser vans keep in constant communication as a vast team effort slowly triangulates its position. And finally, we’ve hired a pair of guys who claim that they can break 80% of a person’s skeletal structure and still keep the person alive. And really finally, if you’ve been the recipient of one of its highly stylized death threats, that puts lucky you in the hat drawing for the final slug.

Thanks, diary. I feel better already.

[ Edited: 10 October 2010 15:17 by Nhoj Morley]
Image Attachments

spnge bob tv 2b.jpg

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  8526
Joined  15-06-2006

20 September 2010 09:31

It was a valiant effort…thanks…but probably bound to fail.  I’ve been beating my head against the brick wall of superadministrator indifference for several years. 
We’re on our own.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15489
Joined  15-02-2008

20 September 2010 13:48

Andrew - 20 September 2010 07:31 AM

We’re on our own.

Such is the universe….......

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell