TrollZone

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5417
Joined  31-01-2012

21 December 2016 09:02

SkepticX - 21 December 2016 08:51 AM
jdrnd - 21 December 2016 06:09 AM

Many of the new posters are smarter than posters who have been around longer (me).

I agree that we’ve picked up some obviously smart n00bs—absolutely. We’ve also picked up some smart or otherwise dogmatic types who use their intellects against reason (smarts tend to make things worse when the human brain owner wields them for ill, or just poorly). We had a couple of very talented writers who were also very popular posters in here, back in the day, whose posting was was based upon mistaking their obvious talent for language and turns of phrase for sound argumentation. Wittiness, even if brilliant, doesn’t equate to sound argumentation or reasoning. But yeah, there are definitely some diamonds amongst the coal.

+1

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19783
Joined  20-07-2007

21 December 2016 12:46

But yeah, there are definitely some diamonds amongst the coal.

I blush as I brush off the coal dust looking for the gleam of diamond.  Just more coal dust.

no_profundia

no_profundia
Total Posts:  324
Joined  14-07-2016

21 December 2016 16:40

SkepticX - 21 December 2016 05:25 AM

I couldn’t agree more, and your recent contributions certainly help to bump up that average, which is particularly appreciated right now since we’ve had a recent wave of n00bs over the last year (or so?) that’s been taking it the other way.

Thank you Sceptic. I appreciate your contributions to this forum as well. [low bow]

Wii base jumping, eh?

Even Wii base jumping might be too much for me. I might fall and injure myself. I need to be in a sitting or lying posture to feel truly secure.

numinous_1

numinous_1
Total Posts:  26
Joined  16-10-2016

03 February 2017 22:25

Start a Troll Zone a.k.a. Freedom of Speech Zone which can sometimes slip into the Twilight Zone while obfuscating the way Home.

Unless someone is spamming with bullshit memes, no holds barred.  If you can’t make an argument, can’t defend your argument, have a thin skin, so what?  I don’t a shit if I hurt your feelings, that’s not an argument.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5360
Joined  22-02-2005

03 February 2017 22:59

No thanks. You can find that in lots of other sites.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  5949
Joined  15-02-2007

04 February 2017 10:26

I’m so vain, I probably thing this thread is about me?

On a more serious note, sometimes we have to give the newbs enough rope so they can either hang themselves on their predilections, or create an interesting macrame of discourse.  Only after observing their state of mind and trains of thought are we (likely) able to project their intended destination.

While I’m guilty of serving up some stew for trolls, I also try very hard not to actively encourage the posting of the more obvious dogmatic types.  I also try to post a lot less frequently.  I’m making a concerted effort not to feed the outrage-engine that seems to be the modern way of the internet, and am trying (between light-hearted jabs at my reg-homies, to be more rigorous in my posting habits…)

That being said - how much protection do newbies (to this forum) need us to provide? Why can’t we just treat them as folks until they demonstrate otherwise?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

04 February 2017 10:47

If I were a poster, I would agree almost entirely. It is what appearances add up to.

However, there is a modest amount of effort required in maintaining that appearance. Deviations to this attractive forum landscape are brief and often unseen.

If the price of maintaining that appearance is my mere personal reputation as a foru-natzie, tis but a scratch. I’ve had worse. I was the father of two teenage girls. At the same time.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4723
Joined  19-08-2010

04 February 2017 10:52

Nhoj Morley - 04 February 2017 10:47 AM

... I was the father of two teenage girls. At the same time.

Confronting pure evil… and surviving.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

04 February 2017 11:02

Exactly. I could start a midwest-boy-DNA-market from all the tear drops absorbed by my front walk.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19783
Joined  20-07-2007

04 February 2017 17:17

Admins have one job, this forum as they conceptualize it to be.  Obviously, we’re all subject to personal biases and desires, but we not paid our considerable salary to just express our biases. I’m of course an exception with no biases at all.  Such perfection is rarely seen.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7067
Joined  20-02-2006

15 April 2017 10:34

Has this Time article by Joel Stein already been posted?  http://time.com/4457110/internet-trolls/

This article was headlined on the cover of the August 29, 2016 TIME cover - ‘Why we’re losing the Internet to the culture of hate

Kudos to the administrators for (so far) keeping us afloat in the storm.  Fair weather ahead?  A hurricane?

‹ First  < 4 5 6