The best Trek gets some love

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  5875
Joined  15-02-2007

12 April 2017 15:58

SkepticX - 12 April 2017 03:36 PM
Jefe - 12 April 2017 10:06 AM

I’m a sucker for a good sci-fi space opera.

If you like good sci fi, check out The Expanse on SyFy/Space channels.

I’m wrestling with some of the casting for the show, and how they’re writing one of the characters in particular—cast well, written ... questionably to say the least (they couldn’t have done better casting Avasarala, Alex or Amos OTOH).

I still agree it’s a really good sci-fi show though. It’s very cool in terms of depicting spacefaring and low-G life realistically.

Having read all the books prior to the series starting, I struggle to match some of the cast with my mental picture of the characters too.
But the story as a whole is pretty strong.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14274
Joined  24-12-2004

12 April 2017 16:22

Jefe - 12 April 2017 03:58 PM

I’m wrestling with some of the casting for the show, and how they’re writing one of the characters in particular—cast well, written ... questionably to say the least (they couldn’t have done better casting Avasarala, Alex or Amos OTOH).

I still agree it’s a really good sci-fi show though. It’s very cool in terms of depicting spacefaring and low-G life realistically.

Having read all the books prior to the series starting, I struggle to match some of the cast with my mental picture of the characters too.

I’m very flexible about that, actually. Usually I think the changes and compromises made in translation from novel to film work pretty well, and they’re doing at least a fair job even in the worst cases of modifying the character to fit the actor, but for one very important exception (I suspect you know exactly which character I’m on about there). Still waiting to see if they take that in a viable direction or not ...

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

12 April 2017 16:53

SkepticX - 12 April 2017 04:22 PM

I’m very flexible about that, actually. Usually I think the changes and compromises made in translation from novel to film work pretty well, and they’re doing at least a fair job even in the worst cases of modifying the character to fit the actor, but for one very important exception (I suspect you know exactly which character I’m on about there). Still waiting to see if they take that in a viable direction or not ...

If you’re talking about Miller, my notion of him runs more toward a film-noir private dick, with graying hair and a bit more panache than the actor currently cast….but I’m willing to suspend my judgement a bit and see what comes next.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15496
Joined  15-02-2008

12 April 2017 17:33

It’s the best scifi on TV!

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

12 April 2017 19:22

Jefe - 12 April 2017 04:53 PM

If you’re talking about Miller, my notion of him runs more toward a film-noir private dick, with graying hair and a bit more panache than the actor currently cast….but I’m willing to suspend my judgement a bit and see what comes next.

No, I think Miller was well cast. The way they’re writing Bobbie though, isn’t Bobbie. She’s a different character entirely, and Bobbie’s one of the most popular characters. The lack of a proper Bobbie will be a serious compromise. I’m hoping they somehow bring her around.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

13 April 2017 07:42

SkepticX - 12 April 2017 07:22 PM

No, I think Miller was well cast. The way they’re writing Bobbie though, isn’t Bobbie. She’s a different character entirely, and Bobbie’s one of the most popular characters. The lack of a proper Bobbie will be a serious compromise. I’m hoping they somehow bring her around.

Me too.

Edit:  although there is a possibility that they’re showing her ‘breaking point’.
...the lead up character development that turns her into the Bobbie we want.

[ Edited: 13 April 2017 07:51 by Jefe]

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

13 April 2017 09:52

Jefe - 13 April 2017 07:42 AM
SkepticX - 12 April 2017 07:22 PM

Me too.

Edit:  although there is a possibility that they’re showing her ‘breaking point’.
...the lead up character development that turns her into the Bobbie we want.

That’s what I’m hoping too. They already got past the point she refers to in the books as a life changer for her though ... doesn’t rule it out, and it’s looking right now like they may have decided to simply change the particular event, so we’ll have to see (also haven’t seen last night’s episode yet). The Bobbie they’ve created for TV may be tough to believably turn into the Bobbie of the books though.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

13 April 2017 11:06

SkepticX - 13 April 2017 09:52 AM

(also haven’t seen last night’s episode yet).

Me neither.  Something to look forward to tonight!

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

13 April 2017 11:08

GAD - 12 April 2017 05:33 PM

Agreed.  I guess it’s tough to come up with good quality sci fi series without usable source material.

I wish they’d do something with Niven/Pournelle.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

13 April 2017 17:34

Jefe - 13 April 2017 11:08 AM

Agreed.  I guess it’s tough to come up with good quality sci fi series without usable source material.

I watch a lot of scifi but I don’t read any, well a few, I did read Ringworld when I was a teen.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

14 April 2017 08:19

GAD - 13 April 2017 05:34 PM

I watch a lot of scifi but I don’t read any, well a few, I did read Ringworld when I was a teen.

If you ever get a hankering to read a god book, I can highly recommend Lucifer’s Hammer and/or Footfall.  Both collaborations by Niven and Pournelle.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

14 April 2017 08:26

Jefe - 14 April 2017 08:19 AM

If you ever get a hankering to read a god book, I can highly recommend Lucifer’s Hammer and/or Footfall.  Both collaborations by Niven and Pournelle.

Thanks, but where would I find the time with great shows like The Expanse to watch smile

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

15 April 2017 07:59

GAD - 14 April 2017 08:26 AM

Thanks, but where would I find the time with great shows like The Expanse to watch smile

Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll be turned into good sci fi movies or something.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

15 April 2017 08:10

Jefe - 15 April 2017 07:59 AM
GAD - 14 April 2017 08:26 AM

Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll be turned into good sci fi movies or something.

That would be awesome!

< 1 2 3