More evidence for the power of belief

Spinozopterus

Spinozopterus
Total Posts:  1
Joined  28-02-2017

28 February 2017 06:33

Came across this article today… It provides pretty clear evidence for the actual power of belief and the significance of ideology as a causal influence in our lives.

ISIS fighters’ handwritten letters found at abandoned Mosul training compound
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/last-letters-from-mosul-schoolboys-to-islamic-state-martyrs/3553718.html

[ Edited: 28 February 2017 07:55 by Spinozopterus]

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1042
Joined  12-07-2016

16 March 2017 07:19

Does it, though?

I read the article and the word that springs to mind is “brainwashing” - is that the same as the power of belief? I don’t even feel prepared to trust that they weren’t coerced at the final moment. I really don’t see evidence of anything but the abuse of boys aged 15-20.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  74
Joined  07-02-2017

18 March 2017 07:40

Ola - 16 March 2017 07:19 AM

Does it, though?

I read the article and the word that springs to mind is “brainwashing” - is that the same as the power of belief? I don’t even feel prepared to trust that they weren’t coerced at the final moment. I really don’t see evidence of anything but the abuse of boys aged 15-20.

Without the belief of Islamic Heaven and the 72 virgin reward for martyring oneself, it would be more difficult to find willing suicide bombers. Those beliefs are woven into the fabric of the Islamist culture, so perhaps no coercion and “brainwashing” were required.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14384
Joined  24-12-2004

18 March 2017 09:55

proximacentauri - 18 March 2017 07:40 AM

Does it, though?

Without the belief of Islamic Heaven and the 72 virgin reward for martyring oneself, it would be more difficult to find willing suicide bombers. Those beliefs are woven into the fabric of the Islamist culture, so perhaps no coercion and “brainwashing” were required.

Exactly.

Brainwashing is the abusive use of belief, and terrorism is weaponizing it.

We’ve seen plenty of examples of both levels of the abusive use of the power of belief. In most cases it ends at relatively low levels of personal exploitation, but brainwashed minds are ammo that can be used for many purposes, which depend upon the goals and ambitions of whoever owns the brainwashing.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  74
Joined  07-02-2017

18 March 2017 16:55

SkepticX - 18 March 2017 09:55 AM
proximacentauri - 18 March 2017 07:40 AM

Does it, though?

Exactly.

Brainwashing is the abusive use of belief, and terrorism is weaponizing it.

We’ve seen plenty of examples of both levels of the abusive use of the power of belief. In most cases it ends at relatively low levels of personal exploitation, but brainwashed minds are ammo that can be used for many purposes, which depend upon the goals and ambitions of whoever owns the brainwashing.

Yes, and it’s the societal-brainwashing of many of our voting constituency and elected politicians in Christian-right ideology that is just as concerning as Muslim extremism, to me anyway. Not that I expect these politicians to become suicide bombers anytime soon; it’s their ambition to push our democracy toward a theocracy that’s worrisome.