Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  1137
Joined  21-10-2016

20 March 2017 12:45

unsmoked - 20 March 2017 12:22 PM
Jan_CAN - 19 March 2017 12:01 PM
unsmoked - 19 March 2017 11:30 AM

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37533731

I’m still completely unconvinced – only a VERY great distance between me and any creature (alligator or crocodile) with teeth and jaws that large would be reassuring; wearing flip-flops just won’t do it.  wink

Notice the text under the video - “Crocodile enthusiast Lundon Anlezark, who filmed the incident, said: “I don’t think she realised how dangerous this kind of behaviour is”.

Are crocodiles dinosaurs?

“— American alligators are reptiles. ... In this order, there are 23 different species, including the American alligator, Caimans and a variety of crocodiles. — The basic Crocodylia body form has been around for more than 180 million years, making alligators and crocodiles living dinosaurs.”  (yes, teeth, jaws, and striking speed)

So, the crocodile enthusiast is filming the incident, knows it’s dangerous, and doesn’t think to yell out something like “Get back lady, you’re in danger of getting eaten, and your little dog too”?

It is fascinating to observe (from a distance) these animals that have been around for so long basically unchanged – sort of a look into the past.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7064
Joined  20-02-2006

21 March 2017 10:58

Jan_CAN - 20 March 2017 12:45 PM

I’m still completely unconvinced – only a VERY great distance between me and any creature (alligator or crocodile) with teeth and jaws that large would be reassuring; wearing flip-flops just won’t do it.  wink

Notice the text under the video - “Crocodile enthusiast Lundon Anlezark, who filmed the incident, said: “I don’t think she realised how dangerous this kind of behaviour is”.

“— American alligators are reptiles. ... In this order, there are 23 different species, including the American alligator, Caimans and a variety of crocodiles. — The basic Crocodylia body form has been around for more than 180 million years, making alligators and crocodiles living dinosaurs.”  (yes, teeth, jaws, and striking speed)

So, the crocodile enthusiast is filming the incident, knows it’s dangerous, and doesn’t think to yell out something like “Get back lady, you’re in danger of getting eaten, and your little dog too”?

It is fascinating to observe (from a distance) these animals that have been around for so long basically unchanged – sort of a look into the past.

I noticed that the photographer, who knows it’s dangerous, shouts, “Dog.  Dog!”  Reminds me of your joke about the bridge being out.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 March 2017 12:44

unsmoked - 21 March 2017 10:58 AM
Jan_CAN - 20 March 2017 12:45 PM

I noticed that the photographer, who knows it’s dangerous, shouts, “Dog.  Dog!”  Reminds me of your joke about the bridge being out.

I didn’t hear the photographer yell anything out (maybe I need to turn up my speaker volume) ... at least he did yell something, although she didn’t seem to react with any fear.  Well, ‘all’s well that ends well’, I guess.  Something to keep in mind (considering the joke too)—when yelling out a danger warning, best to be VERY specific.  wink

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 March 2017 13:21

bbearren,

The discussion has veered away from your lovely photos somewhat.
I hope others take the time to look at your extensive collection of nature photographs.

< 1 2