Other, as I’ll explain in a post

No opinion, though no one will believe that

This poll is hosted by Jar Management

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5515
Joined  22-02-2005

07 March 2017 08:49

Things have changed a lot since last summer. After a long and determined campaign by some regular posters, we closed down one of the forum’s regular features and attractions.

It was said that we did not need to harbor and promote a poster who was rude, possessed poor social skills, engaged in mockery and slathered nonsense all over the forum. “Twas said that this would elevate the forum and free us from undesirable posting. We don’t need posters who are excitable, insulting and come just to satisfy an urge to rile some patrons. That was then.

The world has changed since last summer. The bar is lower and us forum barkeeps have to adjust to stay in business. Some who led the charge now lead in lowering the bar even further. Since the election of you-know-who, the mood has shifted. We no longer ask politely for pussy. We reach out and grab it. (I’m sure that is just a metaphor, because it makes no sense at all)

Our original intentions must be redacted and rewritten like Ben Carson’s history book. The manners we claimed to reject are now embraced as a birthright. Or a specifically ethnic birthright. Or worse, empowered by a certificate. Whatever the justification, they all stand equalized now.

Just recently, Jar Management (Always working to improve your forum experience) has been negotiating contract renewal terms in a secret location near Mart’s heliport. (Actually, Joe and I have exchanged PM’s)

Hence the poll. Do we reopen The Jar (or maybe start a new one)?

[ Edited: 21 March 2017 19:17 by Nhoj Morley]

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  2969
Joined  20-11-2013

07 March 2017 09:00

I get an error message that the form has expired when I click the “Cast Your Vote” button.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

07 March 2017 09:07

Rats. There are all kinds of things not working these days. The Ubers used the word ‘broken’.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19785
Joined  20-07-2007

07 March 2017 09:59

bbearren - 07 March 2017 09:00 AM

I get an error message that the form has expired when I click the “Cast Your Vote” button.

Same error.  Suggest “Jar” for those weird posts that make no sense nor that elicit responses, but do not justify deletion or suspensions.

[ Edited: 07 March 2017 10:06 by Dennis Campbell]

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4749
Joined  19-08-2010

07 March 2017 10:25

Nhoj Morley - 07 March 2017 08:49 AM

...Hence the poll. Do we reopen The Jar (or maybe start a new one)?

Erm, yes… thumbs up to what you just said there.

Magda

Magda
Total Posts:  630
Joined  01-12-2014

07 March 2017 10:41

I got an error message when I tried to vote Yes

Yes, yes and thrice yes I say. Reopen The Jar (or open another container, whatever).

It’s a different world now, as you say, so we need to stay together and help each other. People that don’t want to partake in the fruits of The Jar, don’t have too.  Dennis, the main architect of the Downfall of Joe, has his own toys to play with now and can keep the hell out.

For information, Burt and I attended The Jar European Summit 2016, held in Amsterdam and the attendees voted overwhelmingly that Joe should be reinstated and the Jar should be reopened.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

07 March 2017 10:55

No, Dennis was not the main architect.

Sorry about the poll. I did not know that did not work either. The Ubers are hard at work on all the problems.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

This thread has so much irony, I fear it will rust.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19492
Joined  11-03-2007

07 March 2017 11:17

I want the Jar, but if you open it the demons will fly out.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

07 March 2017 14:37

It’s a different world now, as you say, so we need to stay together and help each other. People that don’t want to partake in the fruits of The Jar, don’t have too.  Dennis, the main architect of the Downfall of Joe, has his own toys to play with now and can keep the hell out.

Magna,

First, I goofed in having some 12,000 of BM’s posts deleted.  That was not my intention, but I was responding to a poster who’d been suspended by our then admins, and I agree that was long over due.  “Joes downfall” before I became an admin was long justified.  I will watch the entire forum, as much as anyone can do, but will focus first on the four “Halls.”  I will not “keep the Hell out.”  I agree that sometimes the “Jar” had some merits, within posted limits.  Not my interest in imposing my views on anyone, unless they violate the published rules. Rule #9, you might bother reading.

Magda

Magda
Total Posts:  630
Joined  01-12-2014

07 March 2017 15:10

You say all that, and we are supposed to believe you are a decent bloke, and yet you continue to call me the name you wish to I.e ‘magna’ rather than my chosen username of ‘Magda’. You’ve been doing it for a while so done make out its a typo, or you read it wrong, because you seem to read right enough when it suits you.

Just to be clear, I meant by the statement you so kindly bolded above, that if you don’t want to communicate with Joe, you don’t have to, you never had to, you chose not to ignore him like many others such as Skeptic who realised early on that there was nothing to be gained and so no point in getting involved. You dislike Joe intently and you have never hidden this. Please spare us the fake concern about deleting his posts. You are either a liar or incompetent, you choose.

You certainly are rude.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

07 March 2017 17:52

Magda - 07 March 2017 03:10 PM

You say all that, and we are supposed to believe you are a decent bloke, and yet you continue to call me the name you wish to I.e ‘magna’ rather than my chosen username of ‘Magda’. You’ve been doing it for a while so done make out its a typo, or you read it wrong, because you seem to read right enough when it suits you.

Just to be clear, I meant by the statement you so kindly bolded above, that if you don’t want to communicate with Joe, you don’t have to, you never had to, you chose not to ignore him like many others such as Skeptic who realised early on that there was nothing to be gained and so no point in getting involved. You dislike Joe intently and you have never hidden this. Please spare us the fake concern about deleting his posts. You are either a liar or incompetent, you choose.

You certainly are rude.

Regrets re your screen name, obviously “Magda” as a meaning for you that I insulted with my sloppy spelling. I shorten most names here over 6 letters to 2 or 3, just lazy.  Mine is not Dennis Campbell but Cranky Old Fart.  Point of any admin action is to protect the integrity of the forum and, hopefully, not the ego of the admin.  This is not a democracy but we hope a tolerant dictatorship. BTW, will let this pass this time, but liar or incompetent applies to no admin or poster here. Continue that line and you will indeed feel my opinion. I have, as we all have erred more than once in posts.

[ Edited: 07 March 2017 18:43 by Dennis Campbell]

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5406
Joined  25-08-2009

07 March 2017 18:21

Things have changed a lot since last summer.

Like what?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8638
Joined  20-10-2006

07 March 2017 19:08

I don’t care as long as Joe is properly confined.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

07 March 2017 19:20

Skipshot - 07 March 2017 07:08 PM

I don’t think anyone deserves the effort of being confined in some “jar.”  Some posts, perhaps.  But if anyone is so insulting and contentious as was BM, then IMO they do not belong here.  It is not a matter of theism/atheism but how a person communicates with others and the civility with which they do so.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1042
Joined  12-07-2016

07 March 2017 19:42

jdrnd - 07 March 2017 06:21 PM

Things have changed a lot since last summer.

Like what?

The weather.

Climate change.

Brexit.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8638
Joined  20-10-2006

07 March 2017 20:45

Dennis Campbell - 07 March 2017 07:20 PM
Skipshot - 07 March 2017 07:08 PM

I don’t think anyone deserves the effort of being confined in some “jar.”  Some posts, perhaps.  But if anyone is so insulting and contentious as was BM, then IMO they do not belong here.  It is not a matter of theism/atheism but how a person communicates with others and the civility with which they do so.

I had no difficulty ignoring the bleating from The Jar and The Dump, but I may speak only for myself.  I see no virtue in resurrecting The Jar, but for some the place was an endless source of entertainment poking the poor caged creature, and if that is what passes as entertainment then I won’t argue taste.

I imagine reinstating The Jar would add more work to the Admins’ already busy days but without a raise in pay, but perhaps they, too, get a kick out of it in a twisted masochistic way.  I won’t speak for Sam Harris either, but I’ll make an exception in this case and speculate that having his name in the URL of his web site and forum directly associated with the most popular thread led by Joe might give the impression Sam is cool with Joe being here.

1 2 3 >  Last ›