Firing Line w/ William F. Buckley…

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1040
Joined  12-07-2016

18 March 2017 12:21

Does anyone else here enjoy watching some of the old “Firing Line” tapes? William F. Buckley?

Here’s one with Alan Dershowitz.

https://youtu.be/vCdSvE_J4qg

Discussion of the OJ Simpson case. Originally aired in 1996

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15567
Joined  15-02-2008

19 March 2017 00:13

You are not authorized to perform this action

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5349
Joined  22-02-2005

19 March 2017 06:29

It seems like a different world. I always admired his technique even when horking over his point of view.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  667
Joined  01-11-2014

19 March 2017 10:49

I watched a documentary called The Best of Enemies last night on Netflix.

It’s about a series of “debates” between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal, hosted by ABC news during the 1968 political conventions. It was very entertaining and informative to watch.

These debates were the beginning of the current style of television journalism that we have today, where one representative of the political right squares off against a representative on the political left. This had never been done before. ABC found that the ratings for these debates were surprisingly high and that people loved watching Buckley and Vidal go at it. This may have been the beginning of political theater as entertainment also.

Buckley and Vidal were well matched, both intellectually and in social status; both products of America’s patrician class. They also seemed to truly hate each other.

The pivotal moment of the debates came when Vidal called Buckley a “Crypto-Nazi.” Buckley lost his characteristic cool, called Vidal a queer and threatened to punch him. One gets the impression that Buckley never forgave himself for this moment of loss of control, and was haunted by it until his death. For Vidal, this was his moment of glory.

The thing is, even though William F. Buckley lost this skirmish, his ideology was triumphant. In the 60’s, he was one of the lone voices championing right wing, conservative politics. Today, his ideology has a stranglehold on this country. I wonder what he would make of Donald J. Trump?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq2JzNLyheU

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

19 March 2017 12:45

Excellent summary. Excellent documentary.

I wondered the same thing all through the election! I doubt that his opinion of Trump would have been extremely high.

It was that very doc that got me looking for the Firing Line episodes originally. There were a couple of Gore Vidal documentaries I enjoyed on Netflix at the time too. https://youtu.be/89QBjnkB63Y - Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia for example. I don’t think we need to wonder what Vidal would have made of this presidency. :D

Maybe disdain of Trump would have reunited the two gentleman.

Edit: I guess I should have googled earlier…
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/430187/william-f-buckley-jr-donald-trumps-demagoguery-cigar-aficionado-essay

[ Edited: 19 March 2017 14:15 by Ola]

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

19 March 2017 12:51

Nhoj Morley - 19 March 2017 06:29 AM

It seems like a different world. I always admired his technique even when horking over his point of view.

I had to look up the definition of horking, although I had guessed well enough.

Yes! Different planet entirely. Quite a character. Some of the interviews get a bit dry but he delves into topics with a quality that seems to be missing in today’s interviews. I like the full debates - a lot of themes recurring still such as free speech being under threat on campus or feminism spoiling things for everyone. And then people suggest Milo is a trailblazer, tsk - all old ground.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  667
Joined  01-11-2014

19 March 2017 15:16

Ola - 19 March 2017 12:45 PM

Excellent summary. Excellent documentary.

I wondered the same thing all through the election! I doubt that his opinion of Trump would have been extremely high.

It was that very doc that got me looking for the Firing Line episodes originally. There were a couple of Gore Vidal documentaries I enjoyed on Netflix at the time too. https://youtu.be/89QBjnkB63Y - Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia for example. I don’t think we need to wonder what Vidal would have made of this presidency. :D

Maybe disdain of Trump would have reunited the two gentleman.

Edit: I guess I should have googled earlier…
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/430187/william-f-buckley-jr-donald-trumps-demagoguery-cigar-aficionado-essay

Well, this certainly answers my question about what William F. Buckley would think of Trump:

What about the aspirant who has a private vision to offer to the public and has the means, personal or contrived, to finance a campaign? In some cases, the vision isn’t merely a program to be adopted. It is a program that includes the visionary’s serving as President. Look for the narcissist. The most obvious target in today’s lineup is, of course, Donald Trump. When he looks at a glass, he is mesmerized by its reflection. If Donald Trump were shaped a little differently, he would compete for Miss America. But whatever the depths of self-enchantment, the demagogue has to say something. So what does Trump say? That he is a successful businessman and that that is what America needs in the Oval Office. There is some plausibility in this, though not much. The greatest deeds of American Presidents — midwifing the new republic; freeing the slaves; harnessing the energies and vision needed to win the Cold War — had little to do with a bottom line.

The answer is: Not much. He saw through Trump the way most of us have. The bold face and italic highlights, are the parts I found most amusing in Mr. Buckley’s statement.

Thanks for the link, Ola.

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

20 March 2017 04:02

You’re welcome and I agree with your choices - they are very funny.